• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need A Humvee Expert

INFChief

I'm pretty aware of some parts already that I have and want to change, but I need an expert to tell me if they notice anything in these pictures/videos that's very crucial and needs to be changed. I notice a noise coming from the engine, I can't identify what that can be. Surplus 2002 AM General M1123 HMMWV 2 Door Soft Top w/Ambulance Body in Albany, Georgia, United States (GovPlanet Item #3815900)
First thing, wait until the glow plug light goes out before attempting to start. I suspect that your glow plug controller is faulty & you could very well have bad glow plugs. It seemed to turn over a few more times before starting than I remember. You should change the fuel filter & air filter ASAP and check & change engine oil & filter unless the oil looks good AND you have reasonable proof the oil had been recently changed.

Fan clutches, geared hubs, transfer and differential seals often start seeping or leaking fairly quick.
I also remember having flex plate issues. We ended up buying them from our local GM/Chevy dealer because we couldn’t get them through our own supply system.
E-brakes we’re also vulnerable because of their location.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny clucking sound from the engine, no clue. Nice brand new 6TLs ya got there. And no that is not an ambulance GP.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to tell on the sounds alone, but the first crank video sounds like dead injectors. The rattle on the other video could be anything, bad pulley to a loose item vibrating.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did, anything I should be very worried about?
sorry, but I have to ask, why would you buy a truck that you have concerns about the motor or something wrong in the videos? Unfortunately the person starting the truck in the video is an idiot and doesn’t know how to operate the trucks starting system. The video doesn’t tell you if the trucks glow plugs are working correctly, the long crank and chugging is either bad glow plugs or just the fact that the fool at GP didn’t wait for the wait light to expire.
The engine noise is impossible to isolate without being in front of the truck and finding its root cause.

Hummer Guy

sorry, but I have to ask, why would you buy a truck that you have concerns about the motor or something wrong in the videos? Unfortunately the person starting the truck in the video is an idiot and doesn’t know how to operate the trucks starting system. The video doesn’t tell you if the trucks glow plugs are working correctly, the long crank and chugging is either bad glow plugs or just the fact that the fool at GP didn’t wait for the wait light to expire.
The engine noise is impossible to isolate without being in front of the truck and finding its root cause.
I mostly bought this as a project truck, my main plans was to convert this to a 6bt 12 valve or a 4BT cummins, that's if the 6.5 is a bad engine like some claim that it is

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks