• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a little help

farmer1982

I've got a chattering noise at idle but goes away when u bring it up to 1500rpm in the front of my engine it's a LDT 465 1C 1972, I think i've narrowed it down to the front cover , is there any common problems in that area like one of thoses nut's coming loose on the cam gear or the injection pump drive ? or that little ideler at the top ? i have looked at the TM'S u can download on here but i ain't found anything to really to help me out , any info would be very much appreciated

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an engine with the same sounds as you describe. I have not positively identified it. I will be replacing the Hydraulic Head this spring(needs it). I am hoping to look around more then, maybe a sticking HH tappet, or in the IP governor? Mine has sounded like this for a couple years now.

farmer1982

Ok that makes me fell a little better that im not the only one with this noise . I've dug pretty deep into mine , i've taken the front cover off thinkin it was something under there , i've got the pan off now lookin at the rod bearings and the rist pins i've checked 3 out of the 6 an nothing there yet i am going to check the other 3 tomorrow . what exactly is the Hydraulic Head ? i dont know much about these motors im learning as i go , i'll check into my ip governor too thanks for the info.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please take pictures and let us know! good luck

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the new bearing? Is the noise gone now?

clutch

bearing came from mansfield bearings incorporated. hes still putting it together and im heading over there after i eat to lend a hand. either i or him will post what the out come is. hopefuly it works because neither of us can find anything else wrong.

Attachments

clutch

it was shiny. he cleaned it and its raining today so i think the moisture in the air got to it. im anxious to see if that fixed it. dont know if we will get it together tonight or not. have to put the oil pan back on and the front of the motor back together.

clutch

so heres the update doghead, the bearing didnt help so we pulled the valve covers. nothing wrong up there so i grabbed the crankshaft dampner bolt socket and gave it a few shakes left and right and could feel something loose in the crankshaft. my cousin crawled under it and took the inspection cover off the bellhousing and i grabbed a prybar and pulled on the preasure plate and the whole thing moved! the flywheel is loose! check yours to see if you have same issue. pm me if you need help in the procedure to check it.

farmer1982

Im workin on taking the tranny out now so i'll see whats all screwed up from being run loose , I'm hoping that it didn't mess the threads in the crank but i'll know more when i get it apart .

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, bad news indeed! I need to drop the transmission in mine anyways, to replace a leaking rear-main seal. I guess I'll look it over closely then. Sorry to hear it was not an easy fix, but I appreciate you sharing what you find and do here. Good luck

farmer1982

I got the tranny out no problem I just used an old tranny jack that was made for taking tranny's out of semi's it wasn't tall enough to reach so i just set a couple wooden 4x4's on top of it an it worked great , Well theres good news an bad news the crank is ok but i have to dig out 3 of the 6 bolts that hold the flywheel in place , the holes in the flywheel are a little chewed up but ithink i can get them cleaned up a bit a use some grade 8 washers along with new bolts an it should be ok . I've got the flywheel at a local Napa getting it resurfaced an i purchased some Left handed drill bits to drill the twisted off bolts out hopefully that works .

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may as well, replace the rear main seal, now. I can't wait to look at mine!:oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks