• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a little tech advice on alt rebuild

iacucv

Hey guys. Voltage regulator on drivers side alt decided 17-18 volts was a happy spot on me. Dont think it did any damage before i could limp it home keeping rpms low. Got a rebuild kit from Tow4, and rebuilt it last weekend. Im no electrical expert but the rebuild threads here helped me out. I was rather paranoid about making sure the grounds were isolated though, so before reassembling the alt I checked to make sure there was no continuity between any of the bolts or screws that had isolators. Also I double checked all thr isolators very well.

So on to this, before installing the alt I decided to check continuity of the posts to make sure the ground was isolated correctly. + post, no cont. - post, no cont. No cont between the 2 either. However, the small center post does have some continuity between both the + and - posts, somewhere around 510 ohm to both. Is this normal? Or do i need to crack this thing back open before I fry batteries and who knows what else? Also i know the drivers side doesnt necessarily have to be isolated but I would like to keep them both isolated for interchangability. Attempt to post photo of said "middle post" -
Failed. Its the small one between the neg and positive posts

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small post terminal between the B+ and B- is connected to one of the rectifier studs. It will have continuity through the rectifier diodes between the B+ and B- terminals depending on the polarity of the test leads.

That is normal.

iacucv

Thank goodness! Winter is a coming and I need to get the 1009 rolling. Still gotta get a block heater put in too. Thank you timarr and thank you again Ray!