• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a mechanic

2 many cucvs

Hi fellas. I just bought an 87 1008 not running. The starter had hung up and ate the flex plate when she fired off. I replaced the starter, flex plate, and did the doghead mod so it hopefully won't happen again. I put in 2 new batteries and some fresh fuel and she fired right up after sitting for 4 yrs. That's where the problem starts. It fires up before making a full revolution and idles perfect but it won't rev and has no power. I also serviced the trans while it was out. When I Pulled the pan it was full of strawberry milk. It was only in the pan, not up in the valve body. I was hoping it was condensation that built up in the pan from sitting so long but it won't shift out of low gear. It pulls strong in first but just won't shift. Any insight would be appreciated

Drock

Might have old fuel that needs to be drained. Also I would change the fuel filter and replace all the rubber fuel lines. As for the trans I would replace all the rubber vacuum lines.

MarcusOReallyus

Yep. That fuel filter is probably a mess, and the trans needs vacuum to shift. Start with Drock's recommendations and then see where you are.

sneekyeye

From sitting so long, there's no telling in what shape the injection pump is in either. You can run a vacuum hose directly off of the vacuum pump to the modulator valve on the side of the transmission to at least get it shifting. It will shift real early and soft, but it will at least let you go through the gears. There should be a vacuum device on the passenger side of the injection pump that meters out vacuum based on how much throttle you give it. That may or may not be still good, along with the vacuum pump itself. It should be near 20 vacuum right off the pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks