• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a new radiator

taylordc15

I have been having problems with leaks for the last couple of weeks, finally decided it was beyond my abilities and took it to a radiator shop, they want $750 to recore it.

I have found new ones from
ERIK'S MILITARY AND INDUSTRIAL SURPLUS
25251 JACKRABBIT ACRES
ESCONDIDO, CA 92026
for $680

and TNJMurry has rebuilt ones for $495

has anyone purchase anything from Eriks? Thoughts on new versus rebuilt, is it worth the extra money?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't get the "rebuilt" radiators at TNJ Murray's, You will most likely be disapointed, unless you have very low standards.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Need a new radiator

Re-coring a deuce radiator is going to run around $500-$600. It's just not worth it.

taylordc15

I have tried two different shops so far both were over $700
even if I can find some place to do it for less if its not at least half that I think it is worth the money for a new one in the long run.

zak

I bought a new one last summer from Sam Winer in Ohio, it was $595. I see that they are now $695. Came two days after I ordered it. Was made somewhere in Pa if I remember right.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
green gem in FL had used ones on ebay awhile back starting at 55$. There is a surplus place by FT Hood that can be found in the salvage yard forum that has used truck parts. North of 5 points in corpus the county fire dept has several parts dueces, they might give up a radiator. If you look around you will find several for 100$ or less. I had mine redone in corpus at a radiator shop by the dump (don't remember the name} for 100$. They places are out there just keep searching. :wink:

taylordc15

Thanks guys, Ill keep looking.
hndrsonj, was it A&E transmission and Auto Repair? Thats the only place that comes up near the dump for radiator repair on google, I will have to drive around out there in the morning and see what I can find.

renovate7

If these are like my M151 they are a copper core. Most rad shops can't even get copper cores anymore. Most new cars have plastic tanks crimped on to an aluminum core. Much cheaper to replace the whole thing. The old school rad shops are slowly going away. I think when Murray has them for the 151's it is because he has paid a manufacturer to do a run. Very expensive. I've been told to stay away from military rebuilds. All they may have done is block off a leaking tube, not replace it. I took my 151 rad to a shop in a small town near here. He rodded it out and took out a dent in the top tank. Made my jeep run MUCH cooler.. He said he sees a lot of old copper core rads from ag equipment in the area. A 50 yr old tractor is just getting broken in.

taylordc15

Decided to go with a new one, I don't want to be doing this again anytime soon.
$724.13 delivered. And I was so planning on spending it on other useless upgrades that I just have to have. I thought getting my curio and relic FFL was the most expensive thing I had ever done but then one day I'm surfing along and stumble across steel soldiers, my wallet hasn't had anything in it since.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decided to go with a new one, I don't want to be doing this again anytime soon.
$724.13 delivered
Where did you get it from?

taylordc15

ERIK'S MILITARY AND INDUSTRIAL SURPLUS
25251 JACKRABBIT ACRES
ESCONDIDO, CA 92026
760-747-8863
Hours are Monday-Friday 9-6.
I don't know what else he has but he will send you a free catalog, customer service has been excellent so far, I needed some other parts he didn't have and he located them for me.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the thing to watch for is that the top and bottom tank must have the propper joint, i. e. a u shaped part that the other piece goes into before soldering. many of the US made mil rads do not have this and they WILL fail. ask me how i know. (no don't)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks