• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a rivet set

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my M48 tractor the rear ramps were missing. I traded for replacement ones and today I found the big rivets to reinstall the ramps correctly. The problem is, I can't find a rivet set for 7/16 or 1/2 inch diameter rivets. Does anyone have any idea where to get a rivet set that big? I know I could just use a ball peen hammer and take half the day off to peen the rivets into a round buck but i'd rather spend 20 bucks and have the right tool. Any thoughts?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are for aviation and the biggest is 1/4 inch. The M48 uses 7/16 diameter rivets.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sets

Jim I think I know were to get the right ones I will make a call monday to see if they have them .One of the guys I used to work with used that type of sets

FreightTrain

Banned
Try some trucking companies,Big rig repair shop,and places that build dumps,custom rigs,etc on semi tractor chassis.They might have a set and might do it for a few bucks.

Jones

See if you can find a Blacksmith shop in your area or a structural steel outfit.
Rivets have pretty much been phased out in favor of bolt-together or weldment assys. but some of the older outfits may still have the means.
We usually end up grinding our own sets and bucks for the oddball head styles, then hardening them.
If you end up doing it yourself; plan on using an rivetting gun (air hammers don't have a 'throttling trigger') and an air supply that'll deliver high CFM...
oh, yeah-- and ear plugs for everybody, including the dogs. When we're riveting on a boiler or locomotive frame, you can hear us for blocks.

metalshaper

How are you planning on doing the riveting, by hand or with a large rivet gun. I do a lot of frame riveting and use sizes from 5/16" all the way up to 1/2". I make my own rivet sets for bucking by hand and either buy or make them for my large rivet gun. Either way make sure you back up the rivet when doing the bucking or you will end up with a mess that will need to come apart and be redone again. I am going to try and post some photos of some things that I use. Let me know if you need any further info on riveting. One photo shows my large rivet gun, and if you use this type make sure you have good air CFM , hearing and eye protection, and a surface that can take the pounding of this tool. This unit can buck a 3/4" rivet cold. The next photo shows some various rivet sets that I have had to use over the years. They can easily be turned on a lathe to match the head style you are tying to create. If you want them to last use a good shock resistant steel such as S7 to make them out of . If you are just doing one or two rivets then any steel will be fine. Have a helper heat the rivet and shape the head with your hand held set.

Attachments

Verkstad

Does the part need to pivot on the rivet or do the rivet need to be set tightly and secure ?
Either way thats a big rivet to set with handtools and have it formed to look good.

We rivet by handtool a lot of pivot joints 1/2" & smaller, use a torch to heat only the end of the rivet and re-heat it much as it needs until its formed correctly.
We always make our own rivetsetters, Something as large as you need would be easy with simple shop tools, It's the small rivet setters that are hard to make without a lathe or other accuracte machine.

Rgds,
Jakob

vtdeucedriver

How are you planning on doing the riveting, by hand or with a large rivet gun. I do a lot of frame riveting and use sizes from 5/16" all the way up to 1/2". I make my own rivet sets for bucking by hand and either buy or make them for my large rivet gun. Either way make sure you back up the rivet when doing the bucking or you will end up with a mess that will need to come apart and be redone again. I am going to try and post some photos of some things that I use. Let me know if you need any further info on riveting. One photo shows my large rivet gun, and if you use this type make sure you have good air CFM , hearing and eye protection, and a surface that can take the pounding of this tool. This unit can buck a 3/4" rivet cold. The next photo shows some various rivet sets that I have had to use over the years. They can easily be turned on a lathe to match the head style you are tying to create. If you want them to last use a good shock resistant steel such as S7 to make them out of . If you are just doing one or two rivets then any steel will be fine. Have a helper heat the rivet and shape the head with your hand held set.

As I make my living as a aircraft mechanic. I have seen quite a few rivets that have gone "wrong". I can only imagine driving them at those sizes!!!! And at thats size, what one can FU!!!

jesusgatos

I found this thread searching for 'rivets'. Yeah, there were a lot of results to sift through. I need to replace some of the rivets in the box on my M109. What's the best way to go about that and what tools do I need?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks