• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a sample Humvee VIN number.

R3Fab

A guy I know bought an old Lotus.
When he went to get title the CA DMV said "There is a military Humvee with a same VIN# registered in Kentucky since 2011".
The Kentucky DMV had sheriff involved and can't located the Humvee anywhere.
I am pretty sure a LOTUS VIN# is much shorter than a Hummer's.
But to be certain I need a sample Humvee VIN, fictional is fine, just need the correct number of letters and digits.
TIA.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the serial number listing that is a sticky on this forum, none have letters and they range up over 600.000 most have 6 digits
They have serial numbers not vin numbers.

SmartDrug

HMMWVs don’t have traditional VINs like the Lotus.

It could have had one assigned by the state, but we wouldn’t know anything about that number (only certain states do this).

The closest thing we have is a 6 digit serial number- 199,516 for example. No letters. Most DMV systems have a hard time with this situation.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since they didn't really sell them at auction until 2014 or so , it would seem like it is probably one
from the 2 batches the Marine corps released earlier if it's been registered since 2011.

R3Fab

Since they didn't really sell them at auction until 2014 or so , it would seem like it is probably one
from the 2 batches the Marine corps released earlier if it's been registered since 2011.
Ah, SHORT numbers are easily duplicated when they are from different countries!
Anyone but CA DMV would see that and sort it out.
I wonder if pointing out the difference between VIN and SN to CA DMV would make any difference?

LOTI. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Crapgame

Even if the other vehicle were a Hummer H1, the last six digits would be a different serial number. If one had to submit a 17 digit VIN code to suit their state DMV this is the breakdown of each number/letter placement:
HMMWV Hummer H1 VIN Decoder.jpg

Before they went to the 17 digit system in 1981 it was entirely possible for multiple make vehicles to have the same VIN, but how many pre-81 automobiles are even still on the road in 2023?

R3Fab

I now have the Lotus VIN#, 501758
If anyone know who has the Humvee with matching SN# contact information would be greatly appreciated.
The Lotus predates the Humvee by decades so CA DMV are being obstinate.

SmartDrug

If anyone know who has the Humvee with matching SN# contact information would be greatly appreciated.
I'm no expert, but someone else will likely chime in as well - I'd guess that serial goes back to a M1097R1.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that would likely be an R1, I am not surprised that a local DMV person in CA would be so stupid not to realize that a non standard "VIN" would likely be duplicated on a different make vehicle but I am very surprised at how many stupid people must have been involved to escalate this to the point that KY would actually send an officer to investigate, especially when DMV is a bureaucracy not a law enforcement org.
So now we have three agencies in two states full of morons.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes that would likely be an R1, I am not surprised that a local DMV person in CA would be so stupid not to realize that a non standard "VIN" would likely be duplicated on a different make vehicle but I am very surprised at how many stupid people must have been involved to escalate this to the point that KY would actually send an officer to investigate, especially when DMV is a bureaucracy not a law enforcement org.
And... The absolute worst part of it all is THEY DON'T CARE.
Customers Service - Hah!
Quality of the Service they perform - Nope, Don't Care!
Government Job - Not getting paid nearly enough - Hah!

Somehow or another, we have managed to miss out on helping them remember that they work for us.

springer1981

I think your last sentence is wrong. It should read "So now we have countless agencies in 50 states full of morons". Carry on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks