• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a Sprag Expert

renovate7

Looks like my new 1967 A2 has a Sprag, another learning opportunity. I did the test in the 20-3-1, section 9-45. My tire turns forward and backward when in 1st gear, time to adjust? I've read most of the threads and it looks straight forward, just follow the instructions in the 20 manual...Can I do this from underneath or do I need to pull the seat/cover in the cab? Any insight or help GREATLY appreciated.

Attachments

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on the location of the adjustment, I would say that underneath would work just fine.
What little I know about the 2-1/2 ton sprag though says you may have a broken unit, if it moves both forward and backward.
Did you confirm that the front propeller shaft is turning when you turned the wheel? If your truck has broken a front steer joint the it will act the same way. This is not an uncommon failure. Check the shaft before messing with the sprag adjustment.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've never touched a sprag t-case before, so I could be wrong, but is that plate cracked in the first pic at the very top left?

Katahdin

I did the adjustments all from underneath, you'll want a second person in the cab to shift the gears while you're underneath checking for linkage movement.

Before doing the wheel test, drive your deuce around and get the transfer case up to operating temperature. I believe this is printed in one of the TMs.

This January my sprag was not working in forward gear. It was 20-30 degrees out, I jacked up a front wheel and I didn't get any resistance in either direction/gear I tried. I did the linkage adjustments, put it in gear, spun the wheel, still no resistance in either direction. I had not warmed up the transfer case.

Fast forward to today, 81 degrees outside and climbing and I just got back from a 25 mile drive. I jacked a front wheel, put it in gear, spun the tire, and the wheel locks in the direction it should. Whoopee! :D

Last edited:

Jagernaut

I'm still new to the deuce so forgive me.
I've never touched a sprag t-case before, so I could be wrong, but is that plate cracked in the first pic at the very top left?
Where were you going with this? What would it indicate? I'm having similar problems and mine is cracked. Was gonna try a adjustment tomorrow but starting to think it wont help and I'm still trying to figure it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks