• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need advice/experience

ridetoslide

Hello group, I'm new here and have been reading everything I can from this site to gain knowledge on acquiring a military surplus generator. I'm looking on govplanet website at the Fermont 5 and 10K's although I did see a Libby generator mixed in. I have never bought anything from govplanet. I have read the descriptions of the generators pretty carefully and I plan on going after one that is running and making electricity according to the reports. Are there any little things I should look out for and avoid? What about the Libby brand versus the Fermont branded ones. Does one matter over the other? Should I avoid the trailer mounted generators. I have a tractor and forks to move around the skid mounted sets. The trailer might be nice or maybe a hinderance climbing up on it all the time? What's everyone's opinion? I live in Northern Indiana and the 2 closest sights for picking these up, provided I get a winning bid, are Capac Michigan and Chambersburg Pennsylvania. Any tips for picking up at either of these places? Really hoping all you experienced guys can help some of my questions as I'm in uncharted territory! Thanks in advance

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Fermont produced the 80x series for most of the production run (1993-2012). There are tons of things to look out for... auction photos and videos will only ever tell you some of what you will actually find once its in your hands. Just because they can get it started and showing making power for a thirty second video... doesn't mean its good to go.

Plan on working on any machine you might come upon, to some degree. Take your time to find one that best fits your needs. Do you know what size you are looking to obtain? Trailered or genset only is up to you. Trailers do have some convenience for mobility and keeping up out of the weather, but detractions as well (some you called out).

Quality on auction machines has fallen over the last two years, with prices not following suit. If you have time, you will be rewarded with buying one that best fits what you are looking for.

These are a DIY affair, but thankfully with places like this forum, owning one is a heck of a lot easier.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello group, I'm new here and have been reading everything I can from this site to gain knowledge on acquiring a military surplus generator. I'm looking on govplanet website at the Fermont 5 and 10K's although I did see a Libby generator mixed in. I have never bought anything from govplanet. I have read the descriptions of the generators pretty carefully and I plan on going after one that is running and making electricity according to the reports. Are there any little things I should look out for and avoid? What about the Libby brand versus the Fermont branded ones. Does one matter over the other? Should I avoid the trailer mounted generators. I have a tractor and forks to move around the skid mounted sets. The trailer might be nice or maybe a hinderance climbing up on it all the time? What's everyone's opinion? I live in Northern Indiana and the 2 closest sights for picking these up, provided I get a winning bid, are Capac Michigan and Chambersburg Pennsylvania. Any tips for picking up at either of these places? Really hoping all you experienced guys can help some of my questions as I'm in uncharted territory! Thanks in advance
And don't hesitate to go look in the CLASSIFIEDS section here @ Steel Soldiers. We have some really first class folks here that sell parts and complete, tested and functional GenSets.

The advantage to buying one that has already been "gone over" is that you could talk to the seller and maybe setup a few hours on a weekend to learn what you need to know BEFORE you throw down your money.

And to echo what @Light in the Dark mentioned - Welcome to the Outfit!

ridetoslide

Thank you for the replies. I'm always leery of bidding without actually seeing something first hand. Will the places that handle picking up generators load skid mounted generators into the back of a pick up truck? How do the trailer mounted generators pull, seems like what I could find is that they pull pretty good. Has anyone ever put a generator mounted to trailer on top of another trailer without issues? Thanks again!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most sites have no issues loading a truck or trailer. I cant speak for MI, but I know Chambersburg has no issue picking up an entire trailered genset with their large fork lift and placing it on any trailer you might bring down.

I've moved plenty of trailered sets on a deckover, no issue provided you know how to use chains and binders. :LOL:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the replies. I'm always leery of bidding without actually seeing something first hand. Will the places that handle picking up generators load skid mounted generators into the back of a pick up truck? How do the trailer mounted generators pull, seems like what I could find is that they pull pretty good. Has anyone ever put a generator mounted to trailer on top of another trailer without issues? Thanks again!
Back in the days of old, looking at the equipment in person was an option.
Not so much any more...

Trailer on a Trailer is a fairly regular thing for mounted generators. That eliminates trouble on the side of the road. Most locations have some pretty beefy forklifts. There are idiots, but there are a lot more folks that work these equipment yards who have skills and care about getting you loaded. Use them. They have more experience than most about what can be loaded and how it should be done.

Bidding and taking a chance works sometimes. Other times, buying one and spending a little more for the skills somebody else has can actually save you money. Buying a group of three or four GenSets and ending up with one or two functional is another possibility. It all just depends on you and your mechanical ability and how fat your wallet is or isn't.

INFChief

The Chambersburg yard is run by Jay. His guys are decent. They’ll load for you. It’s a “no frills” operation but they’ve been very good with me. If you use GPS you might overshoot his location in Sunset. There are no signs so drive slow - he’s back off Sunset on a dirt drive. You’ll be able to see it if you drive slow enough.

Ray70

Yes, Jay Rizzler.... awesome guy and so are his yard guys. They will load anything onto anything without issue. Look for the crushed entrance on the left side of the street if coming in off Philadelphia Ave.
Also... super importantly... make sure you are on Rt 433 Sunset Pike, not Sunset St. they are not the same!

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up in Capac, a month ago. its a tow yard, but they had a very large military Wheel loader with forks and loaded 2 mep 802s on trailers onto my trailer. Only thing to keep in mind with trailer mounted units is the they usually will not fit between the fenders on your trailer. I can say after working on them they are a pain to work on the actual unit, but having wheels is convenient. Not sure where you are at in Northern Indiana but i am 1hr from Ft. Wayne and sell units all the time or glad to just share knowledge as i am just a year into the generator madness. I also bought one from Sparta, wisconsin, had an 802 LTL shipped no problem, but the second one i bought on a trailer did not exist and has been a sore in my side. I have also picked up and had Generator deliveries from Albany, GA very nice people there

ridetoslide

Thanks for all of your replies! Nice to know the little things about getting loaded and finding the Pennsylvania yard without driving past it. So far I keep getting second place on the bids so no luck on a unit yet. Capac Michigan is the closest to me and probably prefer to go there since I can do that pretty easy in a day and not take out a loan for fuel costs lol. But, eventually may have to venture out farther. Farmingsmallkubota, I'm located just a little west of South bend so couple hours away from you so we should talk.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all of your replies! Nice to know the little things about getting loaded and finding the Pennsylvania yard without driving past it. So far I keep getting second place on the bids so no luck on a unit yet. Capac Michigan is the closest to me and probably prefer to go there since I can do that pretty easy in a day and not take out a loan for fuel costs lol. But, eventually may have to venture out farther. Farmingsmallkubota, I'm located just a little west of South bend so couple hours away from you so we should talk.
just send me a pm anytime