• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice for a 500 mile trip in a deuce.

AMX

This is kinda what I was starting to think.

I have seen several good running multifuels around here for $500- $700. You also said you had acess to a truck and lowboy. I guess it would depend on the desirability, ie: with winch, hardtop etc...

kennys@wi.rr.com

Help me find one in Oklahoma! I can't find one that isnt being sold for way too much! The guy that wants to sell me his was asking $5500 for his but when it wouldn't start he went down to $1000. Seems like a pretty good deal but I'm worried about the distance. I'm a mechanic by trade so I'm not real worried about getting it running, but I am worried about getting stranded without parts or tires.

Buyer beware. Actually be afraid, very afraid. I don't want to rain on your recovery, but that would bother me. No one I know would drop the price that far, unless they knew it was in really bad shape.

No matter what you decide I wish you the best of luck. Start making friends along your route now so if you have problems you can get help. That is the best advice I can give you.

mightymanx

If you do, do the recovery you will know every qwirk of the truck by the time you are done. That is one very valuable thing that you can't learn from getting a truck shipped to you and driving it in a parade once a year.

My 3200 mile recovery by day 3 I had become telepathic with the truck.

The 2000 mile (short) recovery it took till day 4

But I was prepaired and have above average mechanical skill and a good crazy scheme planning skills.

ratat98

Buyer beware. Actually be afraid, very afraid. I don't want to rain on your recovery, but that would bother me. No one I know would drop the price that far, unless they knew it was in really bad shape.

No matter what you decide I wish you the best of luck. Start making friends along your route now so if you have problems you can get help. That is the best advice I can give you.
Oh I've made some good friends already! You guys have been very helpful!
I think I'm just trying to jump the gun. I've wanted a deuce since I was 16 for whatever weird reason. I did have a 1947 CJ2A when I was 17, and I've graduated to a 75 CJ5 presently, and now I'm wanting to move on and get the big "Jeep" so I am getting impatient! haha
I've always had good mechanical skill..I definitely needed it with the CJ2A, and it taught me a lot.. I sold the 2A and I've pretty much fully restored the CJ5 and i'm bored with it, so I'm wanting to sell/trade it, and move on to the M35 family, and learn more about the dream truck. Plus it will haul more than the CJ5. hehe

91W350

It is a tough market and you never know who you can trust. I had a 48 CJ2A a pair of 73 CJ5s and a fleet of Land Cruisers. I played with several M715s...... none of them have the deuce charm. Get a good one and you will love it! I cannot get over how easy they are to work on. Just bigger.... Glen

merlot566jka

Ratat98, there are several Ive seen in oklahoma. Just dont let a good one pass you up!

on a side note, I recovered mine, 800 miles, sight unseen over mountain passes in the dead of snow season of WA state, ID, and MT... Not going to sugar coat it, I was impatient, scared out of my mind and second guessing the decision for 16 hours on the way home. I recovered it alone (buddies ditched me) and I had no idea what I had gotten into after seeing the truck! I say go for the adventure!

on a second side note, I am about to make an epic journey from WA to Edmond, OK in my deuce. When I get there, if you havent gotten a deuce yet, I can help you find/recover/work on one.

paulfarber

There is nothing rare or special about a box truck.

Tell the guy you will pay $5500 if he delivers it RUNNING to your door. Otherwise RUN, RUN FOREST RUN!

Not a good price. Its not even a running truck.

ratat98

Ratat98, there are several Ive seen in oklahoma. Just dont let a good one pass you up!

on a side note, I recovered mine, 800 miles, sight unseen over mountain passes in the dead of snow season of WA state, ID, and MT... Not going to sugar coat it, I was impatient, scared out of my mind and second guessing the decision for 16 hours on the way home. I recovered it alone (buddies ditched me) and I had no idea what I had gotten into after seeing the truck! I say go for the adventure!

on a second side note, I am about to make an epic journey from WA to Edmond, OK in my deuce. When I get there, if you havent gotten a deuce yet, I can help you find/recover/work on one.
Hey I picked up my deuce this last weekend! 91W350 sold me an awesome deuce in great shape! If you happen to drive through the panhandle of Oklahoma and go through a town called Shattuck, hollar at me! I would love to see two of these things sitting in my driveway! Theres also a guy in town who has an ex military humvee that I am wanting to get over here.. We could make this place look like an army depot! :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks