• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice for towing a M35a2

mattgunguy

I've got a buddy who's relocating from Springfield to St. Louis & I've agreed to move his m35a2 (used to be mine). But I've run into a few issues. I had planned on just flat towing with my m818 and towbar. I've towed this way often. Mechanical issues have killed that idea.

So now I'm at this point & would like advice (my Google fu is failing me). Can I flat tow a deuce with a 2014 1ton super duty dually safely? I can get a 16k rated pintle hook for the receiver locally. Its stopping which makes me nervous with this setup.
Idea #2. I can get the use of a Big Tex 22GN trailer. Between 16 & 17k rated. Equipment trailer. I've got chains and boomers, but no help with loading & I'd have to back the truck on the trailer (trucks got a low flatbed & I'd need the weight to the rear to prevent tire rubbing). Which I don't care to do alone.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This was asked a few weeks back. can pull you pull it? Yes. Can you do it safely? No. Can you stop a deuce on a towbar behind your 1ton? No. Not even going to have a chance.

You do not want to tow it with a pickup unless it is an emergency situation to just get it off the road. 13,000lbs of rolling force with no brakes is 4000lbs more than your truck weighs. Plus it is a lateral push that will move your truck sideways

Throw it on the trailer and go

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I'd have to back the truck on the trailer (trucks got a low flatbed & I'd need the weight to the rear to prevent tire rubbing)...
Not sure I’m following this part, but if you don’t get enough weight on the back the pickup truck, this can be very dangerous as well.

pwerwagn

So you're saying you need to back the deuce onto the GN trailer, to keep tongue weight down so your tires don't rub on the tow vehicle? That's no bueno either, IMO.

See if you can find someone that has a set of timbrens or sumo springs for your truck, or buy some...they're pretty cheap. Probably worth having them around anyways, easy on, easy off, cheaper than airbags. You can usually get them for ~150$ or so, I would say its well worth the investment to be able to have a little more tongue weight.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Detailed answer including pics of a deuce on a 22GN here -

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...urchased-an-M35A2-trailer-towbar-Houston-Area

If your equipment trailer is ony rated 16-17k GVWR it's going to be overloaded as well. But the 22GN is rated 22.5k so it would be ok.

I have a 22GN. I loaded one backed on once. I immediately unloaded it and turned it around. I think you want the weight distribution with the deuce facing forward. Mine is 20+5'. If your trailer is longer that may change things....

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheel wells on the flat bed doesn't have a lot of clearance. So I'm needing to keep the heaviest part of the truck to the rear of the trailer.
Ever tow a trailer with insufficient tongue/pin weight?

It will make a lasting impression. You'll only do it once, either because you'll be convinced or dead...

There's a good YouTube video illustrating it. I'll see if I can find it and add it here.

Edit to add -

https://i.gifer.com/8knb.gif

Last edited:

mattgunguy

Ever tow a trailer with insufficient tongue/pin weight?

It will make a lasting impression. You'll only do it once, either because you'll be convinced or dead...

There's a good YouTube video illustrating it. I'll see if I can find it and add it here.

Edit to add -

https://i.gifer.com/8knb.gif
Yup. Hence why I ask questions when unsure of something.

I'd much rather use my 818 for this. I'm comfortable towing with it. I've never towed a mv with anything but a mv & its outside my comfort zone. So I ask questions to be safe.

1st time I pulled a 100k+ load OTR I asked questions for a week first. Was scared stupid, but got it done safely.

I've had more weight on this trailer than a deuce before. Just always been dead weight. Never rolling stock. Unless you count a forklift.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
F250. Goosenecks work best. Not much tounge weight. I used to haul my M61 5ton around Montana behind my 85 F250 4x4 and a 25ft GN.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks