• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on M1009 upper ball joint sleeve

85CUCVtom

So I replaced my ball joints today and I followed the install instructions in the TM pertaining to the upper ball joint adjusting sleeve but I feel like something is wrong here. The adjusting sleeve seems deep in the knuckle and a lot of threads are visible. I followed the torque instructions to a "T" in the TM, but I don’t want to just assume that this is right.

I checked my part numbers multiple times and everything looks good. Maybe the part is out of spec? They are Moog brand ball joints- I have t had any issues in the past with their parts. Let me know what you think.

Edit- I just thought of this; would the ball joint shaft turning as you tighten the adjusting nut cause this? Like maybe the nut goes too deep before achieving the torque spec?

Take a look:

IMG_3275.jpg IMG_3276.jpg IMG_3277.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have changed many on GM 4WD vehicles over the years. I never bothered removing or replacing the spanner sleeve. I had the front end aligned after each ball joint change and never had any negative results. All the ball joints I changed were wore out on the ball and socket and the tapered shaft was torqued to spec and I called it a day. I used all brands GM down to Autozone. They are all the same in my opinion. But if you change the upper you may as well change the lower. I see people changing lowers only. I don't know why. Good Luck I think all is well. I would take it to a reliable alignment shop and call it done.

85CUCVtom

I have changed many on GM 4WD vehicles over the years. I never bothered removing or replacing the spanner sleeve. I had the front end aligned after each ball joint change and never had any negative results. All the ball joints I changed were wore out on the ball and socket and the tapered shaft was torqued to spec and I called it a day. I used all brands GM down to Autozone. They are all the same in my opinion. But if you change the upper you may as well change the lower. I see people changing lowers only. I don't know why. Good Luck I think all is well. I would take it to a reliable alignment shop and call it done.
I changed both joints. It would be stupid to not do both. I torqued them to spec and this is how it turned out. I thought it looked funny because the old one didn’t come out the bottom as far as this one. Glad to hear your take on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrman

Your concern is the number of threads the adjusting sleeve is showing once everything is set? Maybe the ears of your axle are a bit wider than normal or maybe your knuckle is at the small end of the tolerance spectrum and that is just the way things worked out. That is why they sleeve is there in the first place. To make up for manufacturing tolerances.

I have done a number of these ball joints. Some the sleeve barely gets below the top of the ear and others are like your pictures. Follow the torque listings and drive on is my thought.

85CUCVtom

Your concern is the number of threads the adjusting sleeve is showing once everything is set? Maybe the ears of your axle are a bit wider than normal or maybe your knuckle is at the small end of the tolerance spectrum and that is just the way things worked out. That is why they sleeve is there in the first place. To make up for manufacturing tolerances.

I have done a number of these ball joints. Some the sleeve barely gets below the top of the ear and others are like your pictures. Follow the torque listings and drive on is my thought.
That is exactly my concern. The sleeve on the old ball joint was only a little bit below the top of the knuckle and the new sleeve is way down in the hole. Like I said, I followed the TM instructions- just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I'll wrap up the install later this week when I get a little free time. Thanks!

Iceman3005

I go by feel rather than torque. Just replaced all the ball joints on the blazer. It's more trial and error, I install the sleeve with only one or two threads showing on the bottom. Then install knuckle, start by tightening the upper ball joint till its tight with a half inch drive socket. then start to tighten the lower, if the lower starts to spin then pop the knuckle back out and turn the adjusting sleeve half a turn or a full turn so more threads are showing on the bottom. repeat process, if the lower ball joint doesn't spin then your good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks