• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on mounting 395s with runflats

0311DAD

I am trying to mount my 395s with runflats on mrap wheels. The runflat does not want to go around the rim. Anyone have any ideas?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted my runflats w/Michelin XZLs on modified FMTV wheels; the inner mounting surfaces are similar. If I had to do it again, I'd remove the runflats & run without them.

I had to use a 12-lb sledge hammer to "coax" the runflats onto the rim...I have no idea how I'm getting them off when the tires wear out. I also used LOTS of Dawn dish detergent as a lubricant (thinned 50% with water).

GOOD LUCK.

ETA: They are awfully heavy and difficult to move around when removed from the vehicle. I used nearly 40-oz of Green Slime tire sealant as balancing agent in each tire, this seem to help balance them out. I recently demounted 2 of them to swap wheels & a few other minor maintenance items, and the runflat works very well in keeping the bead seated...better than the beadlocks! Just breaking the bead to remove the outer wheel half nearly wore me out. Dish soap and a sledge hammer "motivated" the runflat off the inner rim.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You will need to put the rim on a cinder block and set the tire with the run-flat on top of it. Then you will need 3 bottle jacks around the outside of the tire. pump the jacks up so the tire is just above the rim, slather everything with tire lube, then let the jacks down slowly so the tire and run-flat slide on the rim perfectly straight. If the assembly gets sideways, jack up one of the jacks. I have not done run-flats, but this is how I had to do the beadlocks.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, I've had NO problems with mountin/demounting beadlocks...they also make seating the bead a SNAP.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There are a few styles out there. I'm using the thick rubber ones. Some are made of spring steel with a rubber "gasket" riveted to the steel. Those are much easier to work with.

0311DAD

After 5 hours , alot of lubricant and a 18 year old helper that doesn't realize that he has a back, I finally got them mounted. A big thanks to everyone for their advice. Now its time for a handful of asprin and a few cold ones to ease the pain. I am not looking forward to doing that again for a LONG time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks