• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on transport of auction win

liqdfire

I am looking at bidding on an A3, I have never purchased a MV before and could use some advice.

The auction says it was driven onto the lot, can I assume it does run then?
If I won the auction could I just drive the vehicle to my house from the lot site, or do I have to have a professional company deliver it?

What does it take tag / registration wise to drive a MV on the road, and what about insurance?

3dAngus

I am looking at bidding on an A3, I have never purchased a MV before and could use some advice.

The auction says it was driven onto the lot, can I assume it does run then?
If I won the auction could I just drive the vehicle to my house from the lot site, or do I have to have a professional company deliver it?

Never assume anything, unless you assume it will need work to be roadworthy. It need be looked at and thourally gone through to know for sure what it will take. There are many posts on here, and while I don't have personal experience in buying and transporting, I am a good student. This appears to be the concensus opinion on SS.

If it starts and runs, or is driven in, is a good sign, but doesn't mean it is roadworthy. The military will drive anything that can hobble in if it is convenient, and this is more convenient than a tow. As a minimum, expect to have all filters on hand, oil, clean fuel, and give the brakes a good test before departure. Most of these old vehicles have been sitting a while and need the fuel drained and tank cleaned. Multifuels may do better on the poorer quality fuel if you mix it with some gas or clean diesel. You may find some sludge at the bottom of the tank giving problems, even if it does start up and/or run.

What does it take tag / registration wise to drive a MV on the road, and what about insurance?
Tags/registrations vary by state requirements. You need call or go by your local office to be sure. Insurance is a must. You should get it before you leave the house. One of the most troublesome insurance companies to insure is State Farm. Some insurance companies will not support. Call your insurance company to be sure, but if all else fails, you can rely on State Farm.

ryker725

You can drive it home. Bring a complete set filters, plenty tools, hearing protection, a quality jack, a portable compressor, maybe a spare set of batteries and plenty $$$$ for fuel to get it home. Don't try to run from the cops. You won't out run them. A glad air hose might come in handy too. See ebay for that. Make sure the brakes work properly before taking it out on the road.

If you're not properly prepared for most common things that can go wrong while on the road, you will be better off having it shipped.

GoinNutts

Don't know anything about Florida and reg. But I can tell you you really need to go and inspect what ever you are bidding on. I assume when you say auction you mean GL and they post pictures with the wrong written description all the time. You can not go on what is said and pictured on the internet. Go see it, start it, put your hands on it and make sure the numbers on the item match the numbers in the auction. Take pictures of everything so what you see is what you get. I have read about auctions where stuff gets damaged or things pirated between the time you inspect and the time you take delivery.

Good luck

3dAngus

10 days after your EUC clears. It takes anywhere from 3-12 weeks on average for the EUC to clear, depending on workload and other unknown factors.

There are a lot of the same questions you have posted in many threads previously. Even so, I don't mind repeating the answers to help you. Given that, I have to say you would benefit from using the search engine and you will get more answers than you could possibly ask. Good luck with your bids.

jwaller

you have 2 days to pay after the auction ends and then after your EUC clears you have about 2 weeks to pick up the item.

From the questions you ask I wold pay someone to deliver the truck to you. You have no idea what you are buying or how to operate it.

GoinNutts

If a EUC is required it could be 6-8 weeks if you have not been through the process. If no EUC you can go p/u when you receive your invoice. An A3 should require a EUC.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a EUC is required it could be 6-8 weeks if you have not been through the process. If no EUC you can go p/u when you receive your invoice. An A3 should require a EUC.
But lately some first time EUC's have been going though in as little as 2 weeks
so you really need a plan on recovery before buying .

91W350

The deuce I bought in November took 70 days for the EUC to clear and it was my third EUC. The trailers I bought in December took ten days to clear, the Blazer I bought in 09 took 65 days to clear. The four trailer purchases this year have been about ten days. They played for a long time with my money on the trucks.

I drove both of mine home, but I had several alternative plans set up in case they failed or would not run. I took my M1008 on both recoveries, loaded with tools, batteries, liquids and spare tires.

I can tell you from experience, it is a horrible sick feeling when she coughs and dies out there in the middle of nowhere. Recoveries are a game where you want lots of options on your side.

Glen

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery is a crap shoot. I did everything I could think of, within reason and budget, to improve the odds while waiting a couple of months for the EUC to clear. I read the operaters manual, parts of the repair/maint manuals, and every thread I could find on this site re recovery for a start. I chatted with a few folks who had done long recoveries, and with MVers in northern AL. Tried to identify MVers along the route...mixed success there.

I had a shop in Huntsville retrieve my truck at Redstone. They changed filters and all fluids; verified that brakes, wipers, air shift, transmission and transfer case were good; drove it around and checked for leaks and hub heating; checked all hoses and replaced as needed; fixed a window mechanism, replaced an air line bleed valve; and set me up with spare air-line couplings [overkill]. They charged me a bit more than I sent to GL.

Flew to Hunstville, picked it up and drove it ~2100 miles home. Lost alternator belts half way; rear-axle brake cylinders started leaking about the same time. Finding belts was difficult as parts store either didn't have 'em, or had only one...amazing! Leaks were slight; lost maybe 4 oz of fluid over the trip; topped off daily; never had brake fade/loss. Shop cost + fuel + hotels/food + belts and antifreeze enroute cost less than the lowest shipping estimate I could find.

It was an adventure, but not difficult. I was perhaps lucky, but there is no substitue for doing your homework. With a slight modified recovery plan, that included trying to get someone local to look at the truck prior to bidding, I'd do it again.

Good luck!

3dAngus

That's a great and informative ost bsorcs. Thanks.

No telling what you paid for the deuce, but it seems the local charges for maintenance more than doubled your costs, if I read it correctly. I was wondering, for reference, if you would share with us what the cost to have a local shop do such work would come to.
It might make a good budgetary number for the rest of us who might be going through the same thing.

essayons07

From my recent experience "driven onto the lot" means nothing. I bought one that was "driven onto the lot" and it needs an injection pump and brake air pack. A lesson learned on my part...if you win it...and it does not run...do not accept it. Once you drive it...or tow it off the lot it is yours...

I had mine towed to a shop and was told that since it was signed for and removed from the lot nothing could be done.

Warren Lovell

My Alpha 3 was won from govliquidation on 03/25/2011, immdeiately sent EUC in, EUC approved in less than 2 weeks, and the truck was delivered from Wisconsin to San Diego today. 04/18/2011. My truck stated it was driven onto lot. And my truck works fine. I would transport it, as if you breakdown while on the road and are not a diesel mechanic, you will be paying pretty high tow bills. Tranport is not cheap with diesel skyrocketing. my bill was $3000...Sparta Wisconsin to San Diego...2000+ miles.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Alpha 3 was won from govliquidation on 03/25/2011, immdeiately sent EUC in, EUC approved in less than 2 weeks, and the truck was delivered from Wisconsin to San Diego today. 04/18/2011. My truck stated it was driven onto lot. And my truck works fine. I would transport it, as if you breakdown while on the road and are not a diesel mechanic, you will be paying pretty high tow bills. Tranport is not cheap with diesel skyrocketing. my bill was $3000...Sparta Wisconsin to San Diego...2000+ miles.
Roughly a $1.50 a mile is a very good rate with what fuel prices are now.
Alot of quotes are nearing the $4.00 a mile range.

liqdfire

I really appreciate the great information so far, I received a couple of quotes today for getting it transported.

Now my dad has a Ford F350 Super Duty with diesel engine and full towing package, what do you all think the feasibility of the ford pulling the deuce with a tow bar, or a trailer with electronic brakes?

3dAngus

I saw a guy loading up a deuce at Robins AFB on a F-350. He was towing it to New Jersey that way. You have to watch out for the height. Not sure how high your trailer is. Keep it under 13' 10" and you should be OK. If the exhaust pipe is higher, take it off.

Trailer brakes are a must!!!! Be careful.

AMX

I really appreciate the great information so far, I received a couple of quotes today for getting it transported.

Now my dad has a Ford F350 Super Duty with diesel engine and full towing package, what do you all think the feasibility of the ford pulling the deuce with a tow bar, or a trailer with electronic brakes?
F350 with trailer brakes = no problem. We have caught f450's towing over 80k# (illegal of course,and un safe). That f350 will tow it around the world safely.