• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice switching to Parker fuel pump from old style ITP

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm chasing down fuel issues with my deuce as noted in the attached thread. However, I thought I'd devote a short thread specifically to the Parker pump in case someone in the future wanted to search just for that.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?107679-Deuce-cranks-but-no-start-ITP-source

I got my Parker in-tank fuel pump from Kipman yesterday. My issue is, I don't know how to properly power it. It has a plug on it with a wire that has been snipped and a ground wire. My old pump has a shielded power wire and a frame ground. According to the TM's, the old style pump was replaced from the fuse linkage on down and the wire was part of the replacement. I suspect that the shielding is a grounding method. Should I use the old wire, splice into the new one, heat shrink wrap it and connect the old shielding to another ground? Does standard heat shrink work in fuel without deteriorating and keep it from shorting out throught the fuel? Thanks. I'll post pictures this afternoon.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I might have a power wire pulled from an Olympic pump. let me know if you can't get your's off the old one.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gimp, I just got my old wire and plug out. They fit very snugly into the plug on the Parker. I made a couple of additions also just to insure that it doesn't come out. I'll share the pics as soon as I can get them uploaded.

Rusty nuts

I used my original plug,it also fit tight and then I just used a small center punch and dimpled in the groove of the plug.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They are not fun to get off, but if you take your time, it can be done. I too, dimpled mine with an awl.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here are the pics from this weekend's fuel pump swap. As you can see, I could not get the plug out of the old pump without some major surgery. I used sidecutters and cut the socket on the old pump and then used slip joint pliers to rip it around the plug. The metal tore surprisingly easily. Once that was off, the plug simply pulled off. I cleaned it up and it fit very snugly into the socket on the Parker pump. Several people dimpled theirs to keep it in. I went a step farther and used a small stainless hose clamp around it just for added peace of mind. I also put a hose clamp around the shielding on my power wire. That was crimped on the plug but was getting frayed. The crimp had a longer stem inside it, so I simply clamped it to prevent further fraying.
After reassembly, I put it in the tank. It is a tight fit and you have to hold your mouth just right to get it in the top of the tank. The plug sticking out creates the challenge.
Then, after discovering that my fuse was blown, I replaced the fuse, but it blew right away. (I just used one from my electrical kit and I don't know yet what size is required.) After wrapping it in foil (for test purposes only!) the pump runs and pumps! I have fuel back through the return line.
I am swamped with trying to get hay mowed and put up, but as soon as I get a break, I'll bleed the lines and see if I can start it. Let me know if you all see something that doesn't look right.

IMG_20130615_195210.jpgIMG_20130615_195859.jpgIMG_20130615_200332.jpgIMG_20130615_200902.jpgIMG_20130615_202831.jpgIMG_20130615_204251.jpgIMG_20130615_195228.jpgIMG_20130615_195255.jpg

Last edited: