• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Advice

Melissawebb01

Hello
I am new to the site, And wondering if anybody can give me any advise or steer me in the right direction. I recently started looking for a Deuce and a half. Torn between newer or older, diesel or multi fuel. Trying to find one that hasn't been beat on:D

I would really appreciate any help, advice or leads..

Thanks Melissa

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The newer 5-tons are the flavor of the month but even they are being replaced by the even sexier LMTVs.

If you want something that's fun to drive, manual transmission and steering then get a Deuce. Plus it will run on waste motor oil.

If you want something that's fun to drive, manual transmission and power steering but bigger then get an M809 series 5-ton. It will run some waste motor oil although I only run diesel in mine.

If you want something that's fun to drive, auto transmission and power steering and even bigger then get an M939 series 5-ton. Depending on the engine you can still run some waste oil.

If you want something that's fun to drive, auto and P/S and looks like the latest MVs used by the US then get an LMTV. Be prepared to spend a lot of money on one though.

Price wise they start at the beginning of my list and go up. I didn't mention the big boys, HEMTT, PLS or MK48 or M915 or M916 or M920 or HET.

For the money you can't beat a Deuce for the fun and the C turbo gives you the cool factor sitting at a light or driving around town. that is until you can't stand to listen to it anymore and get the D turbo. :)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all depends on what you want to use it for.

Where is Deland?

Melissawebb01

Deland is in central Florida.
Not looking for mud truck like I have seen so many used for. More looking for Weekend driver, drive around farm.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A deuce is a great choice for weekend drives and farm chores. 5he trucks are military surplus, they have ALL been beat on! PM headed your way.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The full airbrakes of the 939series 5ton trucks combined with the lower acquisition cost makes them the clear choice in today's market.

Deuces are bringing premium prices due to the supply dwindling and the multifuel niche market.

If you go with a deuce, get a later truck with the dual circuit brakes, or pay real close attention to your brakes.

Edit- swBradley pretty much summed it up, except the 939series trucks are now cheaper than the deuces...

Last edited:

Melissawebb01

received pm and I will. I have bunch of questions.
and you misunderstood beat on , I know military surplus the beat on I was speaking on is taking them out to the middle of the swamp
to see if they can get stuck

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swbradley pretty much summed it up.

The vehicle I most enjoy the fact that I'm driving it, is the V100.

The vehicle that I most enjoy the actual driving of is the M813. I just love driving that thing.

Cheers

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big difference between a M1008 and the other trucks.

I know where Deland is but you need to put your state in as it is a rule.

(I helped put in some of the stuff in the 911 PSAP in Deland many years ago.)

Melissawebb01

I adjusted my location to include my state.
yes I do understand there are big differences.
M1008 was wanted for more of a daily driver
deuce was wanted for weekends and around the farm.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy BOTH!!!! (most do eventually)

Make sure you check the classifieds as many members usually have both listed.

Dont buy the first one you find. Take your time, decide what you want, how much you want to spend and you will find one.

Also plan on attending an MV event in your area. There are some in FL, NC, SC and the big one in GA.

Melissawebb01

Lol
I think you are right about buying both..
I am looking on ads seeing what is out there, if you have one for sale please send me a link.

also Tell me where to find info on MV event in fl.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one for sale but it's in Ohio and although I'm not trying to sell it to you I point it out that the last one I sold was driven 1,200 miles home. :)

I am sure there are some trucks within range of Deland.

Melissawebb01

Thank you.
Is it listed on here.
Driving a distance isn't necessarily out of the question. There are some here in Florida but I am taking Warthogs advice and shopping around and not jumping to buy the first I see. To me purchasing the right vehicle is more important then just being able to say I bought one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks