• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Advise and Answers from the SS awesome folks

OuttaTheWayPECK

I've looked through the site since becoming a new member and really enjoy reading how knowledgable so many here are, and willingness to inform those of us who need help. With that said, pleae forgive the simpleness of these questions as they may or may not be, but I need to know before I build my first truck for the business.

1. interested in the M809 series but looking to more then likely take the M818 and convert it to a cargo style with the troop seats and cargo top and etc etc.. really like the m35a2 keiser year of 71-72 (not positive on those 2 year dates, but someone had one he sold which was awesome, but not exactly what I'm interested in. looking more for the M818 and altering it.

2. interested in the LDT 465 multifuel engine. but only see strickly diesel engines in the these M809 and M818 trucks. however, I'm curious if there is any reason why one could not put the 465LDT into a M818? I mean in my mind anything is possible, I mean the tv shows for example Foose and trickmyride are a testiment to that fact that anything can be done. so If it is possible can you put the LDT 465 multifuel into a M818? if Not why? and please be specific if possible. I'd greatly appreciate it.

3. this might be a stupid question, but am I accurate in saying a PTO wench ? that is the type of wench that is run by the drive shaft and is NOT an electric wench. Also, lets say the ideal truck is out there but does not have the driveshaft driven wench on the front, and one opts for the electric wench, IS the electric wench cheap? does one really ultimately (if they want the wench on the front) want the drive shaft driven wench because of the strength and durability of it? what are the cons and pros? .... again please forgive me if I'm not accurate on what I'm talking about, I'm trying to learn before I spend the big bucks.

4. On the M818 - lets say you want the ZXL 53" rims / tires because of the look and height and increased HWY speed, I've read that the larger tires take away from towing ability? Also, on the M818, lets say you opt for the big ol tires and all, would the axles need to be moved apart to get those beast tires onto this series truck? Or is that only with regard to the M35a2 size trucks?

Basically, my desire is to build an M818 with all of the above ie. 53" ZXL on custom wheels, the PTO drive shaft driven wench on front and back, have the multifuel engine... most interested in the looks and size of the M818 but with the cargo look. again this will be for my new business which hasn't been completely launched yet. I've been getting my ducks in a row ahead of time and since you guys here obviously are AWESOME!!! I'd figure I'd ask before making mistakes on these trucks.

Thanking you in advance for all the advise and help.
Kelly

Last edited by a moderator:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. interested in the M809 series but looking to more then likely take the M818 and convert it to a cargo style with the troop seats and cargo top and etc etc.. really like the m35a3 keiser year of 71-72 (not positive on those 2 year dates, but someone had one he sold which was awesome, but not exactly what I'm interested in. looking more for the M818 and altering it.

2. interested in the LDT 465 multifuel engine. but only see strickly diesel engines in the these M809 and M818 trucks. however, I'm curious if there is any reason why one could not put the 465LDT into a M818? I mean in my mind anything is possible, I mean the tv shows for example Foose and trickmyride are a testiment to that fact that anything can be done. so If it is possible can you put the LDT 465 multifuel into a M818? if Not why? and please be specific if possible. I'd greatly appreciate it.

3. this might be a stupid question, but am I accurate in saying a PTO wench ? that is the type of wench that is run by the drive shaft and is NOT an electric wench. Also, lets say the ideal truck is out there but does not have the driveshaft driven wench on the front, and one opts for the electric wench, IS the electric wench cheap? does one really ultimately (if they want the wench on the front) want the drive shaft driven wench because of the strength and durability of it? what are the cons and pros? .... again please forgive me if I'm not accurate on what I'm talking about, I'm trying to learn before I spend the big bucks.

4. On the M818 - lets say you want the ZXL 53" rims / tires because of the look and height and increased HWY speed, I've read that the larger tires take away from towing ability? Also, on the M818, lets say you opt for the big ol tires and all, would the axles need to be moved apart to get those beast tires onto this series truck? Or is that only with regard to the M35a2 size trucks?

Basically, my desire is to build an M818 with all of the above ie. 53" ZXL on custom wheels, the PTO drive shaft driven wench on front and back, have the multifuel engine... most interested in the looks and size of the M818 but with the cargo look. again this will be for my new business which hasn't been completely launched yet. I've been getting my ducks in a row ahead of time and since you guys here obviously are AWESOME!!! I'd figure I'd ask before making mistakes on these trucks.

Thanking you in advance for all the advise and help.
Kelly
1. Why? Buy an M813 w/w.
2. Why? It comes with a Cummins that is sized for the 5-ton, the LDT is not.
3. Yes, it is a PTO winch. You will pay as much for electric winch as the truck and it won't be as good as the PTO.
4. I don't believe 53 inch will fit on an 809 unless you bob it.

Learn how to use search on here. All the answers and lots of opinions are already here.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you going to do with the truck?

The multifuel will be like putting a Volkswagen engine in a semi. The M39 series 5-tons have a higher HP multifuel but is still a dog.

Also it is a winch and not a wench.

OuttaTheWayPECK

yeah sorry for the typo on winch. .... but ignore the typos and focus on the topic would be cool, thanks lol ... ... thank you for the answers regarding the engine. Ok. got that. so if multifuel is a necesary thing, 5 ton is out the window. thank you guys. greatly appreciate the help..... regarding what am I going to do with the truck, everything I can!! will most definitely be going to the florida rallys and having my fun with the ride and will also be a great advertisment factor for the business

OuttaTheWayPECK

Learn how to use search on here. All the answers and lots of opinions are already here.[/QUOTE]

I did Bradley, it was difficult to find these exact answers. I've been reading threads upon threads. greatly appreciate the help.

212sparky

you can add a pto winch to a M35a2 or find one with it. It runs about $1000 to add it. best thing is to find a truck that has all the things you are looking for, Like a winch, if you want an air shift transfer case, spring seats, better tires, troop seats, cover, drop side bed. You can add all those things or just shop for it.

OuttaTheWayPECK

The multifuel will be like putting a Volkswagen engine in a semi. The M39 series 5-tons have a higher HP multifuel but is still a dog
a dog meaning... it uses a lot of fuel? I have read that the 5ton are rather difficult to drive steer and stop. or well more so then the 2.5ton.

Sephirothq

I have seen 16.00 tires on a 5 ton they are very close together on the rear and the front steering leaves alot to be desired of. So it will work, not a good idea

Yes you can add a winch to any truck, it is a matter of cost.

IF you want a cargo get a cargo, if you are planning to convert one it is possible, but why?

The multifuel engine is a bit under powered. but did you know they made some called an m39 series? A 5 ton with a multifuel engine in it already.

OuttaTheWayPECK

you can add a pto winch to a M35a2 or find one with it. It runs about $1000 to add it. best thing is to find a truck that has all the things you are looking for, Like a winch, if you want an air shift transfer case, spring seats, better tires, troop seats, cover, drop side bed. You can add all those things or just shop for it.
thanks sparky, greatly appreciate that... well, that is the ideal thing to get one with everything already, but unlikely from what I've been noticing... or well maybe I should say, it is possible if I want to spend thousands shipping it to me from the other side of the country.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are new here but I want you to know that while we are not grammar police we do expect the members to try to make every attempt to use proper English. That includes no text message type, correct spelling, using capital letters where needed, run on sentences (no paragraphs)

This is all covered in the the Forum rules you agreed to when you signed up.

While we do not expect perfection, we do ask that you at least try. If a member doesn't want to try, they are always free to move on.

So no I will not be ignoring the typos

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know where you heard anything about a M809 series but they are wrong. I have two Deuces and an 813 and the 813 is a dream to drive in comparison. Will lock the brakes up and with power steering it is very easy to maneuver.

A dog meaning not enough power to get out of its own way.

Not a good idea to tell a moderator to ignore your typos and focus on the thread.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read!

Just tossing that out there.

OuttaTheWayPECK

I have seen 16.00 tires on a 5 ton they are very close together on the rear and the front steering leaves alot to be desired of. So it will work, not a good idea

Yes you can add a winch to any truck, it is a matter of cost.

IF you want a cargo get a cargo, if you are planning to convert one it is possible, but why?

The multifuel engine is a bit under powered. but did you know they made some called an m39 series? A 5 ton with a multifuel engine in it already.
thanks sephiroth.... yeah as much as I've been reading threads in this forum, being very unknowledgable, I didn't even know there was a 5ton with a multifuel. until someone just before posted it into my thread here... thank you very much for that.... it's hard to know what to look for when you have no clue what is what that will be what you want. lol if that makes any sense to read. haha ... I didn't know the cargo version of the 5ton was the M813... very useful info in this thread already I've been searching for in here but couldn't totally find exactly what I needed answered... you guys rock!! ya know that? thanks big time

212sparky

a dog meaning... it uses a lot of fuel? I have read that the 5ton are rather difficult to drive steer and stop. or well more so then the 2.5ton.
The multi fuel engines are not as powerful ans the NHC 250 in the 5 ton trucks. The 5 tons have power steering, the 2.5 do not. 5 tons are a larger trucks but the 2.5 are not a sports car either. You still have to drive them like a large truck. The 900 series have an automatic transmission and air brakes, the 800 series and 2.5 ton trucks have single circuit hydraulic brakes.

OuttaTheWayPECK

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read!

Just tossing that out there.
Thanks Doghead. I'm doing my best

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops! we posted simultaneously!

Gee, That sounds kinky.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your not in a rush, you should meet up with some fellow Floridians and get a good first hand teaching on the trucks.

There are a bunch of good guys down your way.