• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Advise on Daimler Ferret MK 2/3

Redlightning01

Going to Buy my first military Vehicle going 1600 miles to pick it up could use in put on where I might get parts & manuals its a 1961 Daimler Ferret MK 2/3 or would I do better With a SARACEN APC Thanks

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A saracen is a mechanicle nightmare. stay away. your best bet for parts will be over on the mil-web. Most european dealers will be able to help.

Redlightning01

size

Daimler Ferret MK 2/3
Do you think that Ill fit in a Ferret IM 5-10 and 240 lbs Ive herd it might be snug going in but ok when Im in an exit is easy though the front The problem I have is I cant find one here in FL. to see if I can fit 1600 miles is a long way to go and not fit into the driver seat

Stalwart

Ferret all the way, I have 4" on you and I fit great. You probably will have troubles going in through the front hatch but the top is easy. In the past few months there have been several Ferrets for sale in Fl.

L999here

...older=harder to get into...

You may fit into the Ferret...but getting in and out is another story. Agree that your size will be difficult to squeeze into thru the front hatch...but it also depends on how 'agile' you are and how much pain your joints will take. Learn how to go in thru the top. If yours has a turret...much easier. This vehicle was not made for old guys or anyone over 6' and 200 lbs. 'Cramped' is the word that comes to mind...LOL...

Malyutkaman

I'm 6'6" 210 and fit just fine in mine. As mentioned earlier forget about the front hatch, very difficult to get in and out of, but through the turret is easy. One problem however is getting onto the vehicle in the first place. I've just about knocked all my teeth out slipping on the oily wheel hubs. Also stopping power in a Ferret is poor at best, plan WAAAAAY ahead. Other than that it's a fun vehicle.

L999here

...'daily driver'...?

...LOL....With all due respect. The Brits are notorious for their 'finicky' MV's. Yep...they are cheaper and more accessible than US MV's...but are more expensive to maintain and operate. Try an older Jag or Rolls-Royce....just an example. And I own both a Ferret and an FV432 APC (avatar)....LOL.....

174th gunner

I have a mk-2/1 and daily driver is not possible 1st they leak everything every seal on the things leak and must be replenished after each run ,and every hatch and periscope leaks in a hard rain the wiper sucks,and I need to grease my belly to get past the gun.If you still want a ferret contact me for I want something that is easier to get into.

Marines42

I'm 6'0 and 230ish and have no problem fitting in my Ferrets. I have manuals available in a pdf format that you can print out, just shoot me an email at Marines42@aol.com and I will send them. There are a lot of sites with info on the Ferret and parts are still decently available.

m880 unimog

ferrets go just as fast in reverse as forward-we were also aiming them at the french market?

any vehicle if badly maintained or never looked after will leak.remember the under hand steering technique for rowdy driving.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one a long time ago and am still looking for another but I only have limited funds and am too bust up to do much work on one. I was dealing withMarines42@aol.com who has a nice once for a good price. I realy want another one but will have to wait untill I can find one at my price range. Eddy