• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Advise on Removing Steering Box

Amxhunter

News just In ! Box came out easy after removing the cover and sliding out the shaft.

making progress on the Power steering Install.

Got the Pump installed and pulled the Steering Column.

However, getting the Steering Box out is starting to annoy me :)

Whos got tips on how to get this bugger out ?

I have removed the pittman arm.

loosed and disconnected the hoses directly behind the Box.

I even tried taking the Box apart and slipping the Pittman shaft out, but the cover is either pinned on or something as i can't get one corner to budge. If not for that , I think the cover would come off, shaft slide out and box come right out. But NOOOOOO, always gotta be something.

Last edited:

dabtl

The bolts from the steering box have all got to be removed. One is extremely difficult to reach and remove. I used an engine crane to lift the motor an inch or so for the clearance. Once the box cover is removed the gear can be removed. You should get the MV Magazine article by NickD on this. It is the best I have seen.

Note also that the multi-fuel engine can also be located either closer to or farther away from the steering gear than shown in the article. It varies from truck to truck. Mine was closer and required lifting the engine.

The TM suggests moving the engine to the side several inches, but that really looks like a huge amount of work.

hemichallenger

When i take them off and are going to trash them i just cut the output shaft off even with
the frame with a torch and then it fits out pretty easy.

Last edited:

Amxhunter

Ok , I re-read this article. I'm pasting this :

I replaced the steering box on our M35A2 without moving the engine per MV mag #116. Removed the column and four frame mounting bolts allowing the box position to be adjusted to get all the cover bolts out. Removed the fuel line from the bottom of the injector pump also.
Hope this helps, Karl

My problem is that , I appear to have all the bolts out of the steering box cover, but it will not come off.

It feels like there is a locating pin top right as you are standing in the left front wheel opening.

There were , I believe 5 other bolts and the adjuster screw that came out fine.

I believe , I have just enough clearence to get the box out if the cover will come off.

Any thoughts ?

dabtl

There were , I believe 5 other bolts and the adjuster screw that came out fine.

I believe , I have just enough clearence to get the box out if the cover will come off.

Any thoughts ?
The steering box has SIX bolts. The last one is the most difficult to reach and remove.

Amxhunter

The steering box has SIX bolts. The last one is the most difficult to reach and remove.

Well , if it's 6 then I cannot figure out what type of head it has on it.

It feels recessed .

Just reviewed the TM for Steering repair and it Does Show 6 regular bolts.

I've got the box completely loose from the frame , got it spun around where I can get a good look at the 6th bolt and I don't see a head. Going to get in there with a mirror tomorrow and see what's up.

Last edited:

PackRatWrecker

When you put it back together, snug that one down first. The countersunk head seems to function as a locator, for the side cover.

I still need to install my limit switches on my cover, but at leat the box doesn't have to come out, again.