• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need advise Starter and Electrical issues

jhyatt7

Ok, replaced the starter yesterday on my m1009. replaced the burnt ground wire from the front negative battery terminal to the body. now when I attempt to re-connect the battery the starter engages. What did I miss? Is the ignition gone bad, the doghead gone bad. Any advise would be deeply appreciated. Im pretty positive the starter is connected and installed properly two wires one big one small not to hard to put together. My truck has been down since July, please help.

James

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the big wire touching the small terminal at the starter?

When did you install the Doghead relay upgrade? They relays are known to fail. (East Asia).

Disconnect the DH relay and try reattaching the cables.

jhyatt7

Its been about a year or so ago since the doghead install. I will disconnect it and re-attach the cables. I know im probably answering my own question here but if I disconnect and there in not activity in the starter then it most likely is the doghead?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly.

You can test the relay it self. Or it could be a bad starter solenoid.

cpf240

Could also be a bad switch in the steering column causing the DH relay to stay engaged. Simple test with a meter, or your ear, to see if the DH relay is engaging when the cables are connected. I'd disconnect the solenoid wire from the starter before testing though. Should tape it off as well, to prevent shorts.

mendo

Could also be a bad switch in the steering column causing the DH relay to stay engaged. Simple test with a meter, or your ear, to see if the DH relay is engaging when the cables are connected. I'd disconnect the solenoid wire from the starter before testing though. Should tape it off as well, to prevent shorts.
good advice here! you can test this pretty easily with a simple voltmeter, the cheap ones work just fine for this. connect the black wire to gnd somewhere good, touch the red one to the small wire on the starter. 24V means it is getting the signal from the switch to go! work back from there and you can find where it should be stopping unless the key is turned. if there is a relay, you will see if that one has power from the battery and is closed making the power go to the starter, check the wire that comes from the switch, if there is no power then the relay is bad. if there is voltage there, then the switch is bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks