• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need alignment advice. Got alignment. Now have Death Wobble. What to do?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good news. I've dealt with it a few times. It will make you curse and make your teeth hurt.

topgun217

I'm hoping to find my answer here: This is my problem: Driving along and suddenly truck pulls to the left or right, then straightens out like normal or its like the steering just "free floats" if you will, then suddenly left or right again. Sometimes, I'll crank the wheel all the way to the left or right and the steering is back to normal and the steering is tight. Is this what you all are saying is "death wobble"? I took it to an alignment shop a few months back but they never contacted me back with an estimate so I just figured they didnt want to do the job. I have replaced the steering dampener with one from Monroe and thats not the problem. I was thinking maybe power-steering pump? or belt? Let me know what your thoughts are please. ( not trying to hijack a thread here just looking for help)

sschaefer3

No death wobble is violent and the front tires shake back and forth going the road. Sounds like you have worn out ball joints and tre's as an M1009 will have a 10 bolt. Not a king pin Dana 60

Last edited:

cucvrus

Topgun 217 I am thinking outer axle U-Joints may be tight/seizing up on you. Check them out. They can make hard pulls left to right and you over compensating that just puts them back to pulling the other way. Just an idea I experienced several times on the pick-ups and the blazers. Check it out with the wheels jacked up. Sometimes that is not a fair test. but it is possible to catch and diagnose the problem this way.

jpg

Death wobble is a horizontal(left to right) movement of the tires , not vertical.
That may be so. I'm unclear on the actual mechanism involved. Some explanations are consistent with your point. I do know it *feels* like the tire is bouncing vertically.

cucvrus

jpg and now with hide sight. I believe part of your trouble was tires. I seen bad tires cause front end wobble in the past. Oddly I never had that problem with the M1008 I drive daily and I use it hard. It always has new tires every year and they are the stock size. That and it being serviced / tires rotated regularly and gets new tires annually is a factor in IMHO. I have it 11-12 years and 75K hard miles. Never even quivered up front and I drive interstate, bad / back roads and lots of stone and dirt roads with and w/o a heavy snow plow and with and w/o the L/O engaged. Never had anything apart but the hubs to service the wheel bearings. It seems when you have it it is hard to correct. or you never get it so it never needs corrected. i had many trucks not have it and a few that did. i changed all the tie rod ends, steering stabilizer and brake pads and it corrected or it didn't. Most time it did. I hope you have yours licked now. But the tight U-joints do cause me trouble on a 1984 that had the 2 piece rear cab mounts. it was flexing the frame all the way back under the cab and squeaking that thing angle that connects the 2 rear frame cab mounts.

sschaefer3

My truck never death wobbled ever. I re-built the front axle completely including replacing the king pins. Then my Goodyear MT/R's (37x12.5x17) were wearing more in the front than rear, so I took it in for an alignment. The kid working there screwed a perfectly good truck up so bad it had death wobble. They knew it did not before from the initial test drive. First time I ever said I am going home and cobbled my broken rig home without paying, but for what, screwing it up. I replaced everything, still wobbled. Then I did a Tape Measure alignment and now is fine roll along at 75 like before. The kid used 1989 IFS truck specs to align it. It is a 1986 Dana 60 front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks