• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need an adapter to go from my camper trailer to my M1008

86M1008

I just bought a 30' camper trailer (which has a 7 pin round plug) and need to plug it into my M1008 (12 pin?) and was wanting to know if there was an adapter on the market or if (sigh) I would have to make my own. PLEASE HELP! I have a camping trip coming up soon and my wife despises the cold (I however am fine, but you know how that goes).

Blood_of_Tyrants

I would just splice into the wires for the military plug and add a pigtail. Or you could see if you can find a plug for an M101 with a pigtail and put a 7 pin receptacle on the end.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it would be easier to install a new seven pin rather than rewire or alter the existing plug.

pgwaldner

You will need to add a 7 pin plug added because you will need to wire in a trailer brake controller. I too have a 30 foot travel trailer and would not think of towing it without operational brakes.

xenocath

searching.............
i had much the same issue i just removed the military plug from the bumper and stuck a 7 blade socket in the hole it left then tie strapped the military plug up out of the way incase i someday need it then i just wired into the harness and installed brake box. took about 2 hours total. better safe than sorry imho

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: I also removed the military plug installed the 7 pin in same spot and wired with the same wires and then run new wires for break controler about 1 or 2 hour job depends on your skil level and working conditions!!

86M1008

I posted a thread on how to make a mil to civy adapter a while back.....
i just joined the forum last night at like 9:30, if you could tell me where to look for your post i will look at it. also, anyway to find out which wires go to what? (ie brakes are green, turn signals yellow?) if i could find a wire diagram for the military adapter i would be fine. it would appear that my MV was used at Fort Bragg cuz i have lots of clay buildup under my bumper (and around my adapter).

86M1008

im putting in a 7 pin, does it matter? (ie i have a right turn, left turn, and brake separately) if it doesnt, can i for instance run pin J (right turn/stop light) to the right turn AND brake port on the 7?

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What type of brake controller are you going to install?
Brake Smart?
How does it get plumbed into the CUCV's brake system?
Bruce

86M1008

What type of brake controller are you going to install?
Brake Smart?
How does it get plumbed into the CUCV's brake system?
Bruce
hadnt thought about what brake controller i was gonna use, was more worried about getting the adapter working first as the campground isnt far away and im gonna be following my wife in her jeep (to leave plenty of room for slowing down) when i brought the camper home i had no real problems braking just need to start sooner, and with the low gears on the 1008 i really only have to let off the accelerator and it slows down fairly quickly.

rnd-motorsports

If and when you get to the brake controler the newer ones all tap into the brake light wire at the switch under dash not the brake line like the older ones did you have a black hot 12 volt suply a white ground the blue wire that runs to the trailer brakes threw the 7 pin conector and the activation wire most are red that conects to the brake light wire at the brake light switch real easy. and as far as the lights wire in the 7 pin look here Trailer Wiring Diagrams | Farm Box Dot Com -->> No Bull Info right and left turns use the same wires for brake lights the turn signal switch converts it

Last edited:

ehuppert

IMHO it would be easier to get the "t" tap kit and just install a seperate 7 pin! When i did mine i got a combo unit that has both the flat 4 and round seven.... Tap inserts between the factory connections near the left rear light! (Believe you need the 1983 truck adapter) Gives you a weather tight connection.....

You'll eventually have to run a brake "signal" wire front to rear for the controller....

Eric

86M1008

IMHO it would be easier to get the "t" tap kit and just install a seperate 7 pin! When i did mine i got a combo unit that has both the flat 4 and round seven.... Tap inserts between the factory connections near the left rear light! (Believe you need the 1983 truck adapter) Gives you a weather tight connection.....

You'll eventually have to run a brake "signal" wire front to rear for the controller....

Eric
*gasp* didnt know that they sold something like that, gonna run up to the auto parts store and get one (if they have it *crosses fingers*)

dstang97

waste of money. It only gives you 2 functions. Left taillight and park lights. Your best bet is the weatherpack and do a separate 7 rv under the bumper that way you can run both. That is what I did.