• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need assistance with M939A2 technical manual search

Moebee 420

ok new here. what tms contain the front drive shaft for 6x6 on the m923a2. Mine blew out and is gone. trying to find missing parts so i know what to replace and how big a job it will be. Is this a common problem?????

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site. We can help you find what you need.

1. We try to use the word "help" only in thread titles where someone is stranded on the side of the road. I'll edit your title for you in a minute.

2. The "testing forums" section of the site is for trying out issues with the site, like how to upload pictures or quote blocks of text. I would probably post in the general 5 ton section.

3. You need the parts manual I'd assume-sounds like you know what's up (it blowed up) and you need to find a replacement, so you're searching for an NSN or MPN. The tech manuals for the M939 series are here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?79228-TM-s-for-the-939-series-trucks

You're going to need a parts manual, which will have a file name with a -P suffix. You can download it to your computer and open it up and hunt it down.

4. I'd be careful once you get a new unit in-something else may have caused it to be removed or have caused it to remove itself.

Last edited:

Moebee 420

Ok thanks so much.
What would cause this to happen?
The threads look ok, but could have been lose. Ive had the truck less than a year so its all new to me.
would you put a new drop in unit or just replace the seal / missing part?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow, your axle is missing the input flange.

I dunno how easy its going to be to find one. Might want to pull the on off the front of the axle to put there, then find a replacement at your leisure.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How's about I hook you up with an NOS drive flange, still in the box? How's $65 shipped sound?

20150130_232137[1].jpg20150130_232150[1].jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rear facing front pinion seal started leaking. When I took it apart, I found the big nut holding the pancake flange spun off by hand as it was not even torqued down anymore. The cotter pin through the hole in the shaft to the nut was completely missing.

I did not lose the flange but the hanger bearing rubber cushion was history. I would recommend changing your hanger bearing and ujoints also as they had to take abuse from that failure. Also change the pinion seal.

What is crazy is that you also lost the 8 grade 8 bolts and lock nuts holding the flange together. You had to have had vibration or noise I would think before this failed?

Can't tell on picture but do you still have good threads left?

The big nut takes a 2 1/4 socket. If you need one pm as I have an extra 3/4 drive one I can sell you reasonable.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I do NOT see how the 8 flange bolts came out, they are self locking, torqued nuts, yes 1 or 2 but not all 8, once loosened they would spin as a unit because of the lock nut, also that mess would have been slinging oil every where long before anything came apart, then there would be quite a bit of noise as well, This almost looks like someone pulled the drive flange or in another words STOLE it OR SABATOGE.

The carter pin had to go, then the torqued nut had to loosen just to let the pair of joined flanges (which would TRAP the drive flange retaining nut) move back enough just to clear the pinion shaft, at this point, there would be so much NOISE that things would come to a halt, with a GOOD chance of a BUNCH of COLLATERAL damage from the flying driveshaft.

Last edited:

Moebee 420

I thank you all for your time and thoughts on my issue. I can't believe I didn't hear it go. Ive back tracked trying to find parts lost but found nothing. The big nut is gone as well as the cotter pin. I wonder if it was a sabotage issue. I did find one washer. I wonder if Im not better off putting a whole new drop in unit???

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the truck? Straight from the military? It is possible that it was all loose when you got it and finally came apart. I have gotten many trucks where something had been taken apart and just loosely put back together. One on the worst was a Deuce air pump. Everything looked correct and on the first startup oil was everywhere.

Might check some of the truck salvage yards around Albuquerque. I sold a m816 to a man named Mike and he said he had other 5 ton trucks this was a few years ago and I lost his number. Welcome to Steel soldiers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks