• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Compressor for M35A2 (Bad noises)

WyoDeuce

I hear new noises coming out of my compressor. Bad noises. Metalic clacking. It only makes noise when it engages. I still have good pressure but I don't think the compressor is long for this world. I have been doing a lot of mud bogging and might have filled it with mud/water since it apears to have no filter for intake air.
Does anyone have a good takeout for sale? I have the single piston type of compressor. 1971 M35A2.
Do I need a filter or snorkel so this doesn't happen again?
I know I can buy a new/ rebuilt compressor but I think a takeout would be fine. Anyone rebuild these in the Rocky Mtn. region?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your going in deep mud or water, I would install a hose from the air compressor inlet, to the air filter housing(like the fording kit uses).

63sierra10

I hear new noises coming out of my compressor. Bad noises. Metalic clacking. It only makes noise when it engages. I still have good pressure but I don't think the compressor is long for this world. I have been doing a lot of mud bogging and might have filled it with mud/water since it apears to have no filter for intake air.
Does anyone have a good takeout for sale? I have the single piston type of compressor. 1971 M35A2.
Do I need a filter or snorkel so this doesn't happen again?
I know I can buy a new/ rebuilt compressor but I think a takeout would be fine. Anyone rebuild these in the Rocky Mtn. region?
PM me I am only about 5 hrs. away. I may be able to help you out with a good compressor.

saddamsnightmare

May 16th, 2010.

WYODEUCE:

Ditto Doghead's suggestion above.

There was an 8' long hose that went between the rear outlet of the air cleaner cannister to the inlet on the air compressor over the top of the engine. If you are going to be playig that rough with your deuce, I suggest you co to a muffler shop and get them to bend you to specification a 4" section of galvanized muffler pipe with the 90" elbow and whatever length beyond the elbow, to move your mushroom up off the fender. See my icon for standard field improvised extension to mushroom, using NAPA 4 " 90* elbow. These were applied to keep snow from getting sucked in and clogging the intake filter, but if you extend it to the top of the windshield frame you are goning to need to make an adapted angle with two U bolts, one sized to fit around the air intake stack, and the other to fit around the exhaust stack. You may also want to make a stack for the slobber pipe as per the fording kit in the Parts manual for the deuce.
Respectfully, if you are getting cr-p in your air compressor intake, you are well on the way to getting a hydrolock to kill your engine should it inhale enough solid water through the air intake mushroom. There are posts on YouTube of an ANG driver killing a deuce engine that way, as water doesn't either compress or burn well!:shock:

Just my 2cents worth of thoughts...

WyoDeuce

Thanks for the info and parts guys. I didn't think I needed a fording kit as I wasn't going to go swiming. When you hit a good mud hole with any momentum at all the wave comes over the hood surprisingly fast. I have not submerged the truck but the splash moves a lot more water than you would think. I didn't even hit the big mud hole because I was alone with nobody to pull me out. I think I will be building a fording kit. There is plenty of info here on the subject.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks