• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need CUCV info

aglife121

Im in the process of buying a CUCV and would like some tips and info on some of the military parts on thr truck. For example, the two things poking out of the grill, the circle number plate, the light switches, etc...

reaper556

On the left side of the grill upper corner is a 24v slave receptacle, on the right is the blackout drive light and the circle thing with the numbers on it is a bridge plate which I believe was just to signify the weight class of the truck

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. We have a TM section (manuals) that can help a bunch when you can't sleep. The round number plate is a bridge plate. There is a formula to determine what number is right and bridges in theaters of war will also be numbered. Light switches work in conjunction with the regular headlight switch. For right now the right switch needs to locked in the up position for standard lighting and brake lights. The drivers side thing in the grill is a blackout drive light and the passenger is a 24V port or slave receptacle to slaving other (or this) truck should one have low batteries.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Word of warning;
There're addicting

I told my wife I was just getting one.

So much for that.......

Yes
Download and read the TM's.
They will answer a lot of guestions.

MarcusOReallyus

I can add pictures if someone tells me how.

Here ya go! Read this.

And welcome! :beer:

As for military parts..... Well, basically, it's a 1984 Chevy K30, with some heavy duty springs, some fancy blackout lights, a weird 24v/12v hybrid electrical system, a brush guard, and a bridge plate. Oh, and a diagnostic system that is useless unless you have the military gizmo that reads it. That's pretty much it. Well, the bumpers and pintle hitch are military, too.

The 24 volt part of the truck concerns the starting system and glow plugs only. The rest is standard civilian 12v.

85CUCVtom

As for military parts..... Well, basically, it's a 1984 Chevy K30, with some heavy duty springs, some fancy blackout lights, a weird 24v/12v hybrid electrical system, a brush guard, and a bridge plate. Oh, and a diagnostic system that is useless unless you have the military gizmo that reads it. That's pretty much it. Well, the bumpers and pintle hitch are military, too.

The 24 volt part of the truck concerns the starting system and glow plugs only. The rest is standard civilian 12v.
That really sums it up. I'll add my $0.02 though.

They have some electrical issues, most of which can be resolved through good maintenance and some common sense.

Expect other "old car" problems: rubber hoses, belts, lines etc rotting, rusty locked up brake hardware, gear oil that hasn't been changed in 15 years, corroded electrical terminals and hubs that might need serviced and greased. If you by one from the north it will be rusty.

All in all they are fun little trucks that can be repaired and maintained with auto parts store stuff and a little elbow grease. Have fun!

Search around the site with the Google search bar at the top. This has been covered a thousand times and the SS community is packed full of useful and useless knowledge.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

welcome.
Read the stickies, and also the wiki page here for the cucv it will really help you. read it today, tomorrow, Thursday, saterday, and once more for good measure. Dont worry about the overwhelming amount of knowledge, information, and adivice here. Once you get started and start to learn the tricks of the trade with these trucks it will seem as normal to you as the greek language is to the guys that built the pyramids. (that is a joke incase you didn't get it)
If you have a question and cant find the answer just ask away. Also I see you are in penns woods so you might want to pm a member who goes by CUCVRUS he is a real stand up guy with a ton of knowledge and is willing to share if you are willing to learn.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advice is do not buy one that has been played with a lot , trucks like that are only trouble , get a nice original truck that way the TM's will be of help to you , other wise buy a crystal ball with a truck that has been "improved"

cucvrus

My advice is do not buy one that has been played with a lot , trucks like that are only trouble , get a nice original truck that way the TM's will be of help to you , other wise buy a crystal ball with a truck that has been "improved"
Ditto : Don't buy any hacked up scrap wagon. They are a dime a dozen and will plague you with problems. Keep it stock and keep it simple. They always say read the manuals. If you go changing things the manuals are for starting a wood fire. I seldom read them. I have had many great years of reliable ownership of several CUCV's. Many times i just keep plugging away and figure out everything on my own. I drive one everyday for over 20 years and sell the ones I want when i have to many. Even a few come back to me after 20 years and I keep running them. Good Luck. Don't change everything they tell you to. Just repair what needs repaired and keep up on the routine maintenance.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto : Don't buy any hacked up scrap wagon. They are a dime a dozen and will plague you with problems. Keep it stock and keep it simple. They always say read the manuals. If you go changing things the manuals are for starting a wood fire. I seldom read them. I have had many great years of reliable ownership of several CUCV's. Many times i just keep plugging away and figure out everything on my own. I drive one everyday for over 20 years and sell the ones I want when i have to many. Even a few come back to me after 20 years and I keep running them. Good Luck. Don't change everything they tell you to. Just repair what needs repaired and keep up on the routine maintenance.
Ditto

CUCVLOVER

This right here!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock GM part numbers. You could order your K30 with those parts.