• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need deuce air wiper motor

Flea

I need a broken deuce air wiper motor (actually, all I need is the wiper arm rod). While re-installing my motors after cleaning/rebuilding them, I torqued the wiper arm nut too tight and broke it off the actuator rod. It's actually soldered on right now (all I had at the time!), and it's bugging the crap out of me.

Does anyone have an old or worn-out motor or two they want to part with? :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They are not bad, take it apart, clean it, put it back together. If you screw something up, someone here will have another for you.

Flea

Spruce:

It's certainly not bad at all, like gimpy said.

Remove the motor from the vehicle, and you should only need a #2 phillips to take it apart.

I reassembled it with some general purpose grease on the gears and o-rings, then lubed the cylinder with plain air-tool oil. The motor that was stuck now comes on with lower air pressure than the one I didn't tear apart (just lubed it).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is you wiper motor housing metal or plastic?

Flea

I have one of each. Drivers is metal and passenger is plastic. The plastic one is the one I tore down and rebuilt.

Lax

Mine works okey but how do you get them to make a full swing from one side of the windshield to the other? I have torn them apart, re-lubed, etc. They work but I can not get a full swing I think. Are they supposed to make full swings? If not, I'm done. Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
On some of them, there is a button on the end of the housing that is near where the air goes in. That button needs to be out to make it swing both ways.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When we were on the East Coast Convoy this past year, we hit a thunderous downpour and all of a sudden, my driver's side motor decides it only want to swing in an arc of about 10°. Pressing the red button would allow it to swing all the way but as soon as you released it, it was back to the 10°.

Very frustrating in a downpour where I could barely see the Deuce in front of me!

aua

Barrman

My students and I rebuilt two of mine today. Both were frozen up and had all kind of crud in the intake lines.

The first one we did took alot of cleaning to get to work. Oil, grease and a paper clip to remove some kind of bug got it working. But, it was not going full sweep and only worked at lower pressure from the air nozzle and shop air. I was just glad it worked and we moved onto the second one.

We got it going in a lot less time since we knew what we were doing. We also left the cover above the shaft off when we tried it. It went real slow, but it went. A little air tool oil around the shaft had that thing moving like a sewing machine needle. Full sweep too.

We pulled the cover off the first one and put more oil there. Same result. Full sweep and very fast at all air pressures.

We put the covers back on and the sweep reduced. That was when I noticed the stops inside the cover. They limit the sweep and have threads on them. I didn't see a way to turn them besides pliers, but if you have the old metal style of wipers, pull the top cover off and see what kind of sweep it gives you. Then turn the screws or grind them down until you are happy.

I left mine alone since they are off the windshield frame, the windshield is off the cab and the cab is off the truck. I have never seen them work on a truck and have no clue if I will like the movement they have now.

I didn't see the button Chris was talking about. So, there are at least 2 different styles out there and this may not apply to yours.

Lax

Barrman,
I will have to take a look at my motors. I know they are both plastic so I am not sure what I can do but you have given me some good info.Would WD40 take the place of sewing machine oil or not? Thank you.

Barrman

We used a blow gun, air tool oil and Royal Purple penetrating oil to clean them up and lubricate them. The Royal Purple stuff ended up just about everywhere so it might have helped the action out some. Go with whatever lubricant you have on the shelf and see what it does.

Flea

Lax:

The one I rebuilt was a plastic unit, and it was very simple. I used WD40 for part of the reassembly process to clean up and get oil in places the air-tool oil wouldn't go easily. Worked great.