• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need feedback from more experienced people with MV ownership

wilkusmcrecon

New to Military Vehicles (MV) but not totally new to MV operations. I drove 1/4 tons to 5 tons vehicles both in the Marines and Army. Heavy vehicles but you had a great support network when you got into trouble.

Main issue is finding a vehicle that can carry a heavy load; all around tough that can take a reasonable pounding and be reasonably reliable; operate in demanding conditions; get a reasonably MPG average loaded and unloaded; does not require you to hawk your testicles (I have a wife for that) to own. Prices in today’s market is just crazy expensive for well worked trucks ¾ ton and above with all the problems of an older truck.

Current situation:

I own a 1986 Chev ¾ ton, 4x4, 350. I rebuilt most of it and its reasonably reliable; nice work and plow truck in general around the property; she 30 years old and you need to keep a up maintenance or she will fall apart; can play in the mud; hall a light load; pull you out of the mud; MPG 12 unloaded, and 8- when loaded; you can work on her fairly easy; she hates steep hills of any kind. She did not do well on our last hunting trip ran well performed like crap.

I need to close to hunting and fishing to set up base camps. We use Polaris, 500 6x6 with tracks to get to the animals and fish sites. Where we hunt up here everything can KILL YOU, no one’s coming to help for days, nor do you have the support network here it all falls on you.

Lost when working on a diesels, mostly due to I hardly work with them or have owned one to date.

Over a year of consideration and research this is where I been focusing:

MV, 2.5 ton to 5 ton cargo trucks with a M934 Expandable shop.

Vehicles I’ve narrowed it down to are (M35A3, 1993, cargo trucks) and (M925A2, 1990, cargo/BMY winch trucks)

Will need to hall at least 1.5 tons, have an operational winch, have a hard top installed with a military/civilian hitch installed.

Power train will need to be mechanically sound with a documented rebuilt in its history prefer 90 to 2010. NO leaks and can make a trip when purchased

Based on current skills the rest needs to be reasonably maintained to give me a good start to restore.

Tiers at least 90% tread or better with a spare 90 to 100% tread. Looking for single tire set-up not a dually tire set up.

Budget up to 18,000.

Sellers with integrity to work with.

Last consideration is my family will be traveling with me while hunting, fishing and camping in hostile environment.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ive got a m923a1 kansas rebuild with a m934 expando unit mounted on a trailer to be towed around. Id take 11k for both. 12k with a 60k hydraulic winch.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

74M35A2

It looks like you have done some homework. My vote is for the 925A2. Cummins 8.3 is about the most modern and reliable/maintenance free engine in retired MV's. You'd be hard pressed to find pics of any apart here because they just work. Do a fluid and filter change, replace the stock alternator with anything but, and you won't have to learn how diesels work. They get 10mpg. I recently heard of one selling in good shape for $7000, they are typically $12,000 maybe more. No need to budget $18,000 though. I own this same truck, and have driven it 8,000 miles without any issues. The 8.3 is a leak free engine, and starts very easily in all temps. Civilian hitch is easy to add. Even a hitch shop can do it for you.

How many family members? If more than 3 with kid ages teen or more, you could apply some additional funds for a 4 door crew cab conversion. Several done here, check some pics. Some folks will do it for you for $ or buy one already done. If you want trail maneuverability you could shorten it, put on a short box, and lose one rear axle. Put a locker diff in the remaining one. I am not for doing this, but if it fits your needs better, you have some options.

Like wreckerman said, I would not sell my M925A2 for even $18,000. But a bunch of others can be had for significantly less.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M925A2 would be a great MV choice. I love mine!!
You do not want dual wheel anything in mud. The super singles work wonders.
But.......get that sucker stuck in a remote place like your talking about and it will take a dozer to get it out.
Yes they can get stuck. A winch and snatch block will help of course but if nothing close to attach to it's just dead weight.

You can also get a military shelter to attach in the bed. Lots of guys have turned these into campers.
When your done, uninstall and have a cargo truck to haul stuff.

The power and reliability of the 8.3 is great. Still amazes me with its low end power.
Mine always cranks right up. Only hiccup I've had was a power control box acting up. Easy fix.
I get 10 mpg unloaded and 5 maxed out on weight.
Have had mine for years and if you keep up on maintenance they are almost worry free.
The tires (Michelin) have held up extremely well. My CTIS system still works perfectly.

You missed a great buy on GP a few weeks ago.
M925A2 went for less than 6k.
Wasn't a fresh rebuild but was in great shape.
They are getting really hard to find now on auction.

Good luck

red

between the m925a2 and m35a3 I'd go with the 5 ton. Trucks will be about the same price, similar fuel economy, reliability. Make sure to drain your air tanks.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 925A1 on singles and it truly is a great truck, especially for the price. The prices mentioned above are very realistic and can easily be found, another benefit of the 939 series over the Deuce is its comfort on the road. If your hauling family or clients etc. around in the truck the 5 ton is like driving a new car compared to the Deuce and the other 800 series trucks, they are all good trucks but based on what your looking for the 939 series sounds like it would be a great fit.
the only downside to the 939 series is their size, its a pretty large vehicle and if you do manage to get it stuck with nothing to winch to that is going to be a problem, just the same as any of them. Going with singles will be better for you if your dealing in mud and snow but remember with only one tire per axle side if you have an issue your going to be changing a tire right there or pretty darned close to that spot. They are very reliable trucks and work very well but keep the limitations in mind, there is a lot of front axle weight even with no load, you hit a deep wet spot muddy area and your going down no matter what your driving, you will just go deeper with the 5 ton!
Good luck
Karl

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duals, with the mid axle chained, isn't going to get stuck much easier than singles. The differences in ability to go in the slop (or snow and ice) won't be what makes it or breaks it.

With singles, the 2nd flat is a disaster...

The shorter wheelbase of the truck tractors will be more nimble than a full length cargo truck.

The NH250 and the 8.3 are both rock solid reliable. The 8.3 will have less weight on the front axle and get better fuel efficiency empty.

A ground anchor will provide something to attach the winch to. I presume the OP is already knowledgeable and capable at self recovery...

In the described usage, with no support available, reliability trumps everything else. With a winch on board, that 2nd spare is more likely to be the deciding factor than a small difference in traction.

You'd be shocked at how well a stock M35A2 on 9.00R20 NDTs will go in mud and snow. While in service I've seen them do truly impressive things. The G177s with chains will be a substantial step up from there...

Don't think I'm just fixated on duals either - today I'm in the process of pulling the G177's off my M925 to be replaced with super singles. By my situation is different. My usage will be a phone call away from a 2nd 5ton with spares...

If you do go with singles, plan to change out the ones that come on an auction truck. They'll be older date codes most likely, and will likely have sat flat and creased sidewalls. They will be prone to catastrophic failure without warning. I know this from firsthand experience....

I'd be tempted to go with hemtt rims and 16's, if you decide to go with singles. It'll be easier to get newer date code tires. Consider increasing the size of the spacer between the frame and bed if you go this route, because it is possible to contact the bed with singles at extreme articulation...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I recently had a 931 on duals snap a transfer case in half pulling a grinder out that was 130k. Low range forward pull. Tires spun a qtr turn. Locked on the ground went to pull grinder didnt get unstuck and the 931 kept trying to go and something had to give. It wasn't the tire grip.

Towing the same grinders one with chains will walk thru what the unchained truck won't budge thru

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
He is not interested in pulling grinders at 10x the rated tow capacity of the vehicle.
Its in reference to tire grip for those people who have never driven a dual truck.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
between the m925a2 and m35a3 I'd go with the 5 ton. Trucks will be about the same price, similar fuel economy, reliability. Make sure to drain your air tanks.

The bad part about M35A3s is that almost every part for the kitty cat has to come from the dealer itself. They do not share many of their parts for after market production. Plus they are just downright expensive. Not to mention the 3116 is pretty gutless down low even in its high powered form

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont get hung up on needing to cary five spare tires if your running singles, if your typical payload is only a couple of tons.

You can use your spare and two more tires from one of your rear axles, after you chain it up to the frame if necessary. This is actually much easier than putting on the spare in a quick short term pinch. I ran 35 miles home from Haspin last fall this way with no issuse.

74M35A2

The singles are 18 plys thick. They don't go flat very easily.

I don't think the 3116/3126 is the most reliable engine on the market, something about injector cup seals leaking coolant? Not sure of the detail, but an M35 cab is significantly smaller than a 939 cab.

I drove my 9 to take my kids for icecream Simp. You're smarter than I, you make $ with yours.

Chaining up the axle is pretty crafty. Nice work. Change tires in a more convienent location and time.

Last edited:

wilkusmcrecon

Very impressive. SIMP5782 thanks been years and you do forget what power a MV 5 ton has. The hard part on tires is no matter what % is the UV exposure usally leads to failure. Working on a M923A2 BMY winch cargo truck trying to purchase a solid 5 ton by April to give me enough time to lic in AK, ins and the snow to leave the passes from the port in Hains

71DeuceAK

Hey wilkusmcrecon, hello from another Alaska member here! I'm in the same situation, would like to get myself a 5 ton soon but will probably actually start with a Deuce and move on up. I'm currently located in Fairbanks, let me know if you ever want to get together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks