• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need front height meas. for a M1008/M1028 that isn't saggy

AJMBLAZER

I know some of you guys have a CUCV pickup with super low miles that spent it's entire life driving the Chaplain to the chapel on an AF base. Lucky bastards... :wink:

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out just how far my fronts have sagged. My truck has a noticeable rake to it and I've seen that some of the other CUCV pickups don't have this. It isn't as bad as a brand new '07 Z71 or anything (is that thing 2wd? :D ) but it's definitely lower in the front than in the rear. Before I do anything suspension and body wise to keep my 36's off of the fenders I'd like to figure out just how much height I'm out right now.

I'd need to know how many miles your truck has, it's configuration, and the distance between the center of the locking hubs and the lower edge of the fender directly above it.

Attachments

Armada

I don't know.... usually the distance between the top of the tire and the wheel well opening is less in the back than in the front. The front may have a very little bit of sag to it, in fact it probably does with 20 yrs on it. You may be able to have a spring shop re arc them for you.
If you are worried about it, put new springs on it. And if you're putting new springs on it, you might as well lift it, and if you're going to lift it you might as well....... ;)
Nice looking truck btw!

AJMBLAZER

Thanks. The picture is a bit deceiving though, the front does look a little nose down when you're standing next to the truck. I think I tilted the camera a little when I took that picture.

Rearching springs is old tech man, skip that stuff.

I'm contemplating either new springs or a long add-a-leaf in the front if the springs are sagged noticeably. I don't want to lift it because I can already fit the tires I want right now so...why lift? Besides, my wife is like 5'2" and would kill me if it got much taller. Then there's the fact that it barely fits into most garages now and it's about a foot taller than my trailer...no big lifts in it's future sadly.

AJMBLAZER

So mine measures out at about 22" from the center of the hub to the fender directly above it. Anybody got a similar measurement?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I seeing about a half a rim of wheel weights?

AJMBLAZER

Yeah, whoever Alfa uses to balance tires doesn't do a good job of it. I've got a couple pounds of Innovative Balancing's tire beads waiting for me to get the truck into the garage and the tires/wheels off.

MaximumBob

M1008 1985 looks like it was a communications truck (so not sure that it's really an M1008), center of front wheel hub to bottom of fender = 22 5/8". Speedo missing, but estimate that the vehicle has 50K miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks