• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need general deisel tips, getting my first friday

Dabba

So, im new to diesels and i need to know just the normal operating differences from gassers. I drive deisel ambulances at work, but i never had one of my own to take care of.

I know they dont like starting in the cold and you should wait till operating temp, true? The ambulances at work have an option to leave it on a high idle, do the cucvs come with this? When it first starts, is it bad to have a high idle or have the engine reved (i mean should i just let it sit idle)?

Also, i hear alot of people adding stuff to the fuel, what should i add? How often? and why?

what other habits should i practice to ensure a long living happy deisel? What other preventative maintainence and additives should i use?

Also, i know deisels have more low end power, which is great because im no speed guru, all about the torque, but what kind of on and off road performance should i expect to see with a stock m1008 compared to an 86 gasser small block with 3.08s? Biggest thing im looking forward to is getting rid of a carb, because my k5 couldnt make it up an incline due to stalling out,

anything else? Thank you!

joeypushjr1

well as far as additives i would go to your local auto parts store.. and look at the deisel additives.. in cold weather there is an additive you use for cold weather starts.. and i would deffentally suggest useing the sulfer additive.. cause the new deise of today dont have sulfer in it any more and you 1009 was use to running on that fuel all these yrs.. pluse it helps keep the system cleaner as well as restore some lost power due to the new fuel getting rid of sulfer in the fuel..and i put this stuff in every time i fuel up .. so buy a case of the stuff when you go to parts store... now as far as cold weather starts its really up to you how you do it i like to let it run for couple min befor i drive so the system isnt shocked.. now there will be times you dont have time to idle it....just dont troump on it if you just start then go easy take off and nothing past 35 till you feel the temp is up ... you dont want to blow seals...i would do a high idle in cold to warm it up just watch your gen. gage. rev a little to make your gen kick in then go back in house.. if i think of any more ill let ou know .. oh the 308 gear arent good for doing any kind of pulling.. and ok for some off road.. not hard core

Dabba

Well, do the trucks come with a high idle, either manual or automatic? I only really looked at the one im purchasing and i understand what you mean with letting the generators kicking in, but when i reved it, the lighers when out, but it stayed at the normal idle, not a high idle. Are they suppose to be charging and go back to normal idle or should it be on a high idle while its charging? Thanks

Dabba

good to know, does it high idle when the alts engage? and as i said, when i first started mine i noticed they werent charging and when you reved it up, the lights went out. Any reason to leave it a idle so they dont charge? Dunno why they wouldnt charge at idle?

joeypushjr1

they should charge at tdle with no problem you rev eng. to engage the alts. wonce there engaged let off and they should be fine charging if they dont stay charging at idle when you leave of the throttle id look into belts they maybe wearing out and loose...

Boat Boy

first of all you dont want to have a diesel running at high idle from start to warm it up as that only moves the coolant round the engine quicker and spins the cooling fan quicker. leave it at idle for no more than 5 minutes, just enough to warm the lube oil. if you leave it idling for much longer you run the risk of glazing the liners. if the engine has a high return furl system on it i would recommend a small amount of an additive that inhibits the growth of diesel bug. you also need to keep on top of your fuel and lube oil filters. you also need to keep your air filters clean. as for cold starting i personally wouldnt use any kind of ether starting aid but thats personal preference, if it is really cold i would suggest using a small fan heater under the hood for short time, say around 10-15mins before starting, or a hair dryer. you can even use a rag soaked in a small amount of diesel and set alight to hold in the air intake, its best to remove the filter for this. dont leave it there so it could be sucked in:!: when driving away try not to rev the engine too hard, say not much more than 1/2 revs and certainly no more than 2/3 until the engine temp is at least 50'C 130'F, as that is where most enigine damage occurs whilst the lube oil is still quite viscous.

dependable

Cucv's have a high idle, adavnced timing mode for initial warm up. If everything is working, it usually runs fast for 2 to 5 minuts, depending on temp.. I usually let mine kick down before hitting the road, as I beleive this is better for the piston rings.

AJMBLAZER

4x4xGod over on CK5 sells a nice fuel additive. I run it and like it. Gets good reviews from members over there. After switching to it I got less smoke on start up and it seemed to me at least to run a little better.

That said I used to run Power Service in Big Ugly before I switched to his stuff. Worked fine but I also added some ND 30w oil with each fill up. It is all that is available around here.

Where'd you end up getting the M1008 Dabba?

1956_4x4

The main reason your ambulances have the high idle is to increase the charging system output to handle the increased electrical load caused by all of the accessories. Most of the high idle systems are handled by load controllers that sense the electrical loads. The load controllers will also shed noncritical systems as required to maintain critical systems. The manual high idle should never be used to accelerate the engine warm-up process.

It's not uncommon to have to tap the throttle to get the alternators on the CUCVs going. Once you get the alternator lights to go out it will continue to charge. I just let my truck idle for a bit before heading out.

Smitty

AJMBLAZER

Big Ugly typically has a hight idle when you're starting it cold. Colder temps and it stays on longer while in 100 degree days it usually doesn't even have the high idle. I usually just wait for it to go down to the normal idle before I drive it.

As far as driveablility goes, well...it's no rocket but it should compare favorably with your '86 K5. The J-code diesel and 4.56 gears make it quicker than many expect. Put some 36-38's on it and you'll like it. Low end AND top end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks