• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need H1 Rim opinions

dstang97

I want to get some h1 12 bolts

Do you guys like spacers or re-center I priced them out and its only a $20 dollar difference.

I will be running h1 tires as well.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go the recenter route you might as well buy another wheel. The rencentered H1 wheels don't look right. Thats my 2 cents anyway

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like the spacer as long as they are steel, there are alot of aluminum ones out there.
as an engineer / machinist, I know how easy aluminum distorts and bends.
Those wheels & tires are heavy and so is the truck.

Noob question.:???:

What's the benefit of H1 tires vs Stock?
Traction & looks

dstang97

they make aluminum wheels the same thickness where they bolt on. seems like it would be the same as bolting on a aluminum rim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many folks running aluminum spacers without issue. Retorquing the lugs holding the spacers on (requires rim removal) is critical during the first several hundred miles. After that, the should be fine. If anyone has a source for steel spacers and prices, post up. I'll have to jump on the band wagon with Chuck, the H1 rim just looks funny recentered. Try to find ccatlett1984s album for pics of spacered wheels.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem is that most of the spacers are 6061 T6 extruded aluminum, sometimes called aircraft aluminum or billet.

6061 is quite malleable, much much softer than any aluminum wheels.
aluminum wheels are cast or forged out of a stonger grade.

for these wheels to set right on a CUCv the spacers need to be at least 2 inches thick.
The portion that is held on to the trucks studs with lug nuts is not as much of an issue as the studs that are in the spacer.

yes they will work, but will wear out too quick for me. and for the $100 apiece that I've seen them for, I'd think any shop with a lathe and mill could make some steel ones.

now if the spacers were forged out of 7076 aluminum I'd feel better about them.

again I work with these materials everyday.
(and before you ask, my boss don't like his equipment used for other than his work.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, what a price difference between steel and aluminum. Found 6061 T6 with studs and nuts for $129.95 a pr. Found the same product in steel for $299.95 a pr. Now I have to decide how much I want these rims or if I'll chance 6061. I could by 8 spacers in 6061 for less than 4 in steel giving me a warranty set but if I don' catch a failure, it could be disastrous. The CUCV will probably get driven less than 2000 miles a year. I know Catlett has put tons of mileage on his without any issues.

Marty G

I like the pressed centers better i think it gives the truck a tough off road look.
there is no way i would run a spacer but i have seen them hold up well in some of the worst rock crawling out there.

Attachments