• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need headsets to communicate w passengers in 5-ton

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since there are bound to be 100 different kinds out there, what would you look for? Bose would be great, but I don't know what $ I'm getting into there. Maybe there are some affordable models? Can a good quality set (2 units and the intercom "unit") be had for $300? $400?

Price is always a consideration or I would just buy two David Clark's and the little intercom unit that it plugs into (don't recall name) and just chat away.

What is out there, what is good quality, what has parts available to fix it?

What would you recommend? I don't have to stick to military and keep everything original, we can mix and match. Military might be best because of 24v system though, but I'm open to options and suggestions other than yelling at each other over the noise.

Oh, if anyone has two David Clark's just collecting dust, I'd be happy to keep them clean from you. :)

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sigtronics Transcom II and S-20 headsets. Works off 24V, the 4 port modules are pretty easy to find on ebay.

Managed to be patient and get the intercom for about $100, and averaged ~$40 each for the headsets. Made a long cord so someone can wear a headset and stand outside the truck for backing and other operations.

MtnSnow

At the Big E or Amazon type sites you might search for "Wireless Fan Link Racing Intercom System" as it works nicely for in-cab, driver to outside spotter, Driver to Driver in a convoy.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. Just like in Talledega Nights!

Thats a good idea actually. They could be used for so many other things around the ranch too. Thanks.

I did get a PM from one guy on an aviation intercom system. Looks like I can pick up a used one for $100 or more, if I choose to get nicer ones. I guess David Clark and Bose would all work with the intercom system. You could always upgrade headsets.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also hooked my Sigtronics to a radio. So I get local wired hot mic and PTT for transmit when on trail.

Can't seem to get the cell phone working, but I'm messing with capacitors and all instead of just buying an adapter like a sane person does.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rugged radios do look nice, I could probably get in one of their low end models for $400. They had some closeout stuff that was around that price. But, I'm starting to get close the cost of just buying a low end or used David Clark for me and an eBay special for the passenger :) That is a proven brand that sells itself. Hard to find too many private pilots who don't own a pair of David Clark. My evil sister stole mine, and I never replaced them since I don't fly as much.

Someone set me on a track where I did see some good used aviation setups online. A big plus is that those run on 24v. Found one set of two headphones and the intercom box for $100. I may pull the trigger on it, it's nice enough. Probably good enough for what I want to use it for. And I am sure I can upgrade the headsets as I see a need.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the assumption would be you don't necessarily want to stay with a military system? VIC 1 or VIC 3 or 4
Id be just as happy with a military system as with something else. But nobody has given any military options. I was not in the military, so I don't know much about what is out there.

My buddy was a tanker, I saw his helmet one day, Bose headphones. Yeah, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Looked cool, plus it was a Bose system. Hey, what more could you ask for. He actually gave it to me, but I just couldn't keep it. I don't know if it means a lot to him, he's just a generous guy. Maybe his kids want it. Anyway, I gave it back to him.

Something like that would be cool. Are they available?

hansrober

I use a pretty good system in my motorcycle helmet made by Sena. A friend and I split the SMH10R 2 pack. It is wireless and bluetooth so you can talk to your buddies, listen to music or answer or make a call using voice commands. The comm system has about a half mile line of sight range. I have an old tanker helmet and was thinking of adapting one to it. There is a newer version out now with more features and some really good speakers, so this one can be found at a pretty good saving now.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a pretty good system in my motorcycle helmet made by Sena. A friend and I split the SMH10R 2 pack. It is wireless and bluetooth so you can talk to your buddies, listen to music or answer or make a call using voice commands. The comm system has about a half mile line of sight range. I have an old tanker helmet and was thinking of adapting one to it. There is a newer version out now with more features and some really good speakers, so this one can be found at a pretty good saving now.
I have been looking at similar systems. The motorcycle clip-on communications boxes have a mike and speakers. I figured I'd shove them inside a set of inexpensive ear muffs and go. Just haven't gotten to it.

If you are looking for "cheap and/for now" there are wired intercom sets on Amazon for motorcycle rider to passenger that are less than $20. You of course have to watch the wires!
The flexibility of Bluetooth on the Sena units is something I figure is worth paying for, and you can use some of these type of units as headset radios outside of the truck for distances of up to 1km or more.

Another alternative is to buy used Motorola emergency walkie talkies that accept aviation headset plugs and have long distance comms as well. Just keep the transmit strength down to avoid annoying FCC. The only drawback is the cheap aviation headsets are still $100 apiece or so. You lose the Bluetooth feature there.

Bulldogger

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In regards to military versions, as mentioned, there are VIC-1 and VIC-3 on the market. I have (2) VIC-1 sets for my trucks and paid about $400.00 for a complete set with 2 headsets, 2 com. boxes and the intercom box. I've never owned a VIC-3 but I heard they are noise-reducing. I saw a set at Tower Park for $1,300.00.

papakb

I've had most of the military headsets and think for the price and sound quality the Racal Raptor headsets that are coming available now are the best bet for the money. Most of them don't have the bailout cable that attaches them to the radios or intercom systems that you'll have to find but these are excellent units and can be configured for either a right or left side mic. Personally I think the Bose units are very good headsets but they're overrated and there's no need to be paying extra for a name.

These headsets can be used with either the VIC-1 or VIC-3 military vehicle intercoms

Kurt
KG6KMJ

papakb

This is the end that plugs into the bailout cable, not the intercom. There is another cable with the female recepticle for that connector on one end and a standard 6 pin audio connector on the other that you'll need to find. Check with Austin over in Marble Falls for the cable you need.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My solution was much different than most. I used Peltor Powercom headsets. In a nutshel, they have FRS and GMRS radio built in. They not only work between occupants of the truck, they work with ground guides and other folks with FRS radios such as your wife following in the family sedan. We take ours to the drag races and off roading as well. Pretty universal stuff. Sadly they are over $500 each but savvy shopping has netted me 4 for less than that.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had most of the military headsets and think for the price and sound quality the Racal Raptor headsets that are coming available now are the best bet for the money. ...
These headsets can be used with either the VIC-1 or VIC-3 military vehicle intercoms

There seems to be tons of options, but I am starting to lean more toward a military style setup. I think it would just fit the whole truck theme better.

Does someone have a VIC-1 with or without cables for sale?

The Raptor's are reasonably priced. I may go this route. What else (exactly) do I need. I gather you don't plug them into the VIC-1 and go.

Headsets
VIC-1 (or 3 if someone just has to get rid of theirs for $100 or so :) )
24v power to the unit - is this a special cable or hardwired situation? Or both?
bailout cables for each headset?
Is there another cable that is needed between bailout and VIC-1 intercom box?
What else is needed?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My solution was much different than most. I used Peltor Powercom headsets. In a nutshel, they have FRS and GMRS radio built in. They not only work between occupants of the truck, they work with ground guides and other folks with FRS radios such as your wife following in the family sedan. We take ours to the drag races and off roading as well. Pretty universal stuff. Sadly they are over $500 each but savvy shopping has netted me 4 for less than that.
Tell me more about this "savvy shopping" that got you into 4 of these on the cheap? I like those. They seem very handy.

I have a big shooting range on the ranch. Would be really nice to communicate to someone downrange (out to 1600 yards) fixing a target or maybe talk to the house or whoever I want. But yes, that's an expensive unit!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, back to the Raptor for a second. I do like that option.

In the info, it states that the Raptor works with the following intercoms:

IMG_6445.jpg

Note, no VIC-1 mentioned. However, TOCNET is mentioned and I found one but ... will it work? Is it the right TOCNET?

IMG_6446.JPG