• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need headsets to communicate w passengers in 5-ton

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'm just going to buy it all and if it doesn't work return it. Even the vendor of one of the items had no idea what plugs to what and where. I think they bought them at GL and googled the part number and said, "Oh, ok, these are $Xx that's what I'll sell these things for."

hansrober

I am curious to see how this pans out for you. I think the military hardware looks awesome and pegs the cool meter! That box has a lot of switch setting on it, and a lot of wires to connect. I would have that project looking like a cat chased a ball of yarn around the cab of my truck. Keep us posted!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha! Yeah there will be challenges to this like a power cable for the intercom. I'm just going to plug it in and buy the cables as I see that I need them.

I could have gotten away with an aviation set much cheaper but I decided the military look was worth it.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with the Flightcom setup and the expansion unit so I have a four man setup. Very simple and works great. I think this being an aviation setup adds to the cool factor.

Mark

papakb

The cool factor is having everything military the way it would have been in service. If you start down this path, what's next? 20" wheels and super swampers? LOL

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an AC in this truck, I pulled all the seats out and replaced them with two "Jeep style" seats, putting the 53" tall 16.00's that are in the bed on the truck as soon as I can wrangle up enough muscle ... soooo ... I am not to hung up on "keeping it original" :)

Like someone previously said, having the military intercom sure does add some cool factor to it. The Boxes came in the mail today, but we were busy out playing with our trucks, just like when we were 5, like when we were 18 ... seems nothing really changes, other than the size and cost of the toys.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got all my goodies in the mail.

This TOCNET intercom is a serious piece of equipment! I think someone grabbed it off of GL with a bunch of other stuff and sold it without knowing what it is. And I bought it without knowing what it is (except that the info for the RACAL Raptor headsets said it will work with the TOCNET intercom system.)

So far, here is all I can find on TOCNET sannmia SCI V

http://www.sanmina.com/industries-c...cts-systems/tactical-systems/tocnet/tocnet-v/

I may start another thread on it alone, simply because I need to find someone familiar with this equipment.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what I have.

Everything "fits together" there are 3 plugs on the box. All three clearly take a very specific cable. Each has grooves to prevent someone from plugging the wrong 13 pin cable into the wrong port.

Looks like the main cable attaches to the bottom port. This goes to one headset. These fittings all go together so I am reasonably certain that is where they are supposed to go.

Now I'm lost. I have plugged the main headset into the box. I have no power cable, no cables that go out to other headsets. Basically, now I can sit and talk to myself on a dead system that was probably pretty expensive when the Gov bought it.

Can anyone help help me out with some info or hints/tips on what I need to power it up and what the capabilities of this unit are? From the website I gather the units are quite advanced. Or was that just a lot of sales talk???

ve. IMG_6520.jpgIMG_6521.jpgIMG_6522.jpgIMG_6525.jpgIMG_6526.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, the bottom plug is smaller and very different than the two side plugs.

I do see a port with a screw securing a plate over it that may be my power port?

desmodromic

Yikes. I read through hoping to find a simple solution so that I can talk to my son while operating the HMMWVs, but now I am just more confused.

Sigtronics Transcom II and S-20 headsets. Works off 24V, the 4 port modules are pretty easy to find on ebay.

Managed to be patient and get the intercom for about $100, and averaged ~$40 each for the headsets. Made a long cord so someone can wear a headset and stand outside the truck for backing and other operations.
The military options look cool, but may be a bit much for a 4 year old to use (and possibly me). I think I will go the Sigtronics route. Anything else required beyond the intercom and headsets?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had VIC1 setups in 2 trucks and it was uber cool. 2 hours into my first trip I realized the headsets were about as uncomfortable as they could be. My kids were 3 and 8 at the time. The Peltor Powercom was absolutely the best way for us. I could even talk to them while doing my walkaround at stops. We even use them at drag races. Maybe not military but then again, what trucks had intercoms in the military.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a while I get comparison blindness and want to forget the idea all together. So, I bought two Raptors, and one cable. Now, I am committed.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Military-Radi...face-Intercom-system-/201682185252?nav=SEARCH
Looks like that will plug into headset. Now, does it plug into this TOCNET system below?!

Now, I need another cable and the intercom. Is this the correct intercom?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Military-Radi...face-Intercom-system-/201682185252?nav=SEARCH
That isn't TOCNET. That looks like just one component. TOCNET is much more involved. TOCNET will interface with various vehicle mounted systems but the main component required to run TOCNET is a gateway CPU or "brain" of the system called a EMCSU or MCSU. A EMCSU or other flavor of MCSU are generally rack mounted in a shelter or contained in a case for dismounting into a command post. I might be out of touch with the newer generation, but the system architecture remains the same. From your other posts it looks like you have a piece called a crew access unit (CAU) which is just one piece that hangs off the end of the network but ultimately ties into the EMCSU. Simply put TOCNET is designed to tie many different types of communication technologies into one network. Radios, VOIP, vehicle intercoms, PSTN, field wire phones etc can all be networked with TOCNET. Your piece looks very similar to a VIC/VIS-3 crew access box and may work with that system but you still have quite a few pieces left to get into a work VIC/VIS-3. If you're going with a military intercom system just pick up a complete VIC-1. You won't be able to use Bose headsets without modifications but you'll save money and be up and running much faster.

wsucougarx

I know I'm a little late to the party. I went with the VIC-1 System in all six of my MV's. The parts are relatively inexpensive compared to your VIC-3 system. Plus the VIC-1 system is still readily available.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sigo,

basically, you are spot on. It's a part of a much more involved (and prohibitively expensive) system.

My only hope for completing a working system is to put this on the shelf and monitor eBay for the missing components.

The headsets can be used, I'm sure, with another system, just need to figure out which.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I'm a little late to the party. I went with the VIC-1 System in all six of my MV's. The parts are relatively inexpensive compared to your VIC-3 system. Plus the VIC-1 system is still readily available.
Not late at all. Good advice.

For the record, this may look almost exactly like a VIC-3 but it isn't and I do not believe any parts are usable in a VIC-3.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not late at all. Good advice.

For the record, this may look almost exactly like a VIC-3 but it isn't and I do not believe any parts are usable in a VIC-3.
Headsets [ Racal, Bose, and others with the same bail out connection works on Vic-3 ]
I have a Vic-3 complete working system Available.
DSC_000190.jpg