• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need heater motor for am general m915

PCA16

Very cold, sincere thanks for your help, maybe someday I can return the favor.

BTW my brother is the head meat cutter.

I spent a good portion of my day in a 915 and I would have been in **** without a working heater motor. If it's as cold where you are as it is where I am I hope they have fast shipping and I don't blame you a bit for coming here and asking for help finding one. I don't know how asking for help finding parts for your MV became posting a want ad, but I guess they want the 15 bucks pretty bad.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been the Chief of Police in Smethport,PA for the past 10 years, so I am familiar with rule enforcement, never been rude about it. But, I'm not on a power trip either.............
Well you should be familiar with reading the the rules and following them shouldn't you ?

41cl8m5

Just a question. Isn't the propose of this site to help everyone with info on keeping the old iron going? Looking at the first post I took it as someone was looking for info on a sorce to aquire the part needed or maybe a civy equilivent. But you guys could be right maybe its a rule thing.aua

indy4x4fab

Banned
There is a huge difference between reading and reading comprehension.

Most just click agree.

Maybe we need to add to the list, "will pay $50 to any moderator that catches me breaking a rule(each time). And require a credit card on file.
That':Ds on way to get the SS online store stocked up on goodies for use to buy

kochevnik

It took me about 5 minutes to find a bunch of threads where people are requesting help finding parts :

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/78794-m920-broken-axle.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/75720-m923a1-heater-core.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/59352-whats-up-david-kelone.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46068-cdr-valves-whos-got-em.html

I post this NOT to tweak the mods or the owner of the site - I think SS is the cat's meow - but I would respectfully suggest that you review the idea of chastizing people for posting threads asking for help locating various parts - I think you have really not thought this thru - there are way to many unintended consequences to this idea.

May I respectfully put forth the idea that the classifieds remain mandatory for people who want to SELL stuff - but that people who are just looking for sources for parts be free to post their requests.

Otherwise, you have the problem like in this thread and the examples where there is a wide range of responses by the mods depending on who posted the request and how they worded it.

I mean be honest, does it really make sense that every time I need to find a source for a particular part - like I need a hose or a pump or a bolt or an axle - I need to post a classified ad ?

Not to mention, who ever would spend time looking in the classifieds to answer someone looking for a part.

The primary point of this site is to share information and experiences about MV's.

Unintended consequence #37 : if a poster ALWAYS has to post a classifiedad when they are looking for a source for a part, the classifieds are going to become useless and the basic forum a lot less helpful.

Please reconsider.

Thx

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your post brings up something that is totally acceptable and has been discussed many times.

Each of the threads listed started by talking about the vehicle and problems. Then they asked about parts.

Totally different that posting "I need this" in the title or the only thing in the body of the thread.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your post brings up something that is totally acceptable and has been discussed many times.

Each of the threads listed started by talking about the vehicle and problems. Then they asked about parts.

Totally different that posting "I need this" in the title or the only thing in the body of the thread.
EXACTLY!! Throw in a story...we DO like to read here, put a bit of humor in it, a pic or two, we are a visual bunch too, THEN get to the "I messed this up, anyone got a lead on where one might be had" Creative writing my friends!

Mr or Ms kochevnik,
Do you have any idea how many posts happen here in a day and what it's like to try and keep up with them? All of the modereators try their best to weed out the posts like the OP, help people that have issues, calm things down, etc. We try, how 'bout some people trying to obey the rules that are at the top of every page?

lankyevilme

Got it. Rules are rules. It's okay to break the rules if you tell a nice story first. It's okay to ask for help finding parts for your MV, but only if your story is interesting enough. If your story sucks, then the mods come on and flame you. If your story is good, the mods contribute and help you with your problem.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, now you got it.:beer:

And don't forget, if you make fun of us, you get banned!

kochevnik

OK - so just to be clear - this rule :

Do not post items For Sale or items Wanted in the forums. That is what the Classified Ads section is for.
Is going to be enforced as : Make sure you tell a story or add some other info about what you have tried or are going to try before asking for help finding parts.

I want to be clear that I am not being a smartass,

I am simply trying to figure out exactly how this rule is being enforced - because what you are saying as mods (and one site expert) is that the rule above actually means something other than what is written down in the rules at the top of the page.

And before you getter madder than a wet hen at me for 'questioning' the mods, understand that I have nothing but respect for the tough job you do - no one, including me, is personally trying to emotionally upset you. What we are trying to do is to clarify exactly how you all plan to enforce this particular rule.

So just to clarify, if the OP had discussed more about what he was doing and what he had tried prior to asking for where he could find his a replacement for his bad part, then he would have been OK ?

Is this correct ?

If it is not correct, I would appreciate a clarification. Thx

Last edited:

phil2968

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So just to clarify, if the OP had discussed more about what he was doing and what he had tried prior to asking for where he could find his a replacement for his bad part, then he would have been OK ?

Is this correct ?

If it is not correct, I would appreciate a clarification. Thx
Absolutely correct.

No worry about upsetting me(us) as you try to get this straight, I understand it is difficult to understand, follow and enforce. I would also like to mention this is not my idea(rule). I do try to enforce it fairly and equally. In this case, I think if Ron had not replied in post#2 as he did, and I had not just seen and taken care of 2 other similar post/rule violations in the previous 30 minutes, perhaps this thread/post may have been handled slightly "gentler" than it was(by me). Also the fact that the OP said he could not post and ad, so he posted in the forums, is not acceptable. he should have asked why he was not able to post in the classifieds(he should have read the rules or the classified sticky). He acknowledged he was doing wrong but did it anyways..

No matter what, you all need to remember, I am not trying to be unfair to anyone. I am human and do make mistakes or judgment calls that may be a bit harsh at times. It is never done to be "personal". I don't take too many issues or comments here as "personal". It is too easy to exaggerate or misinterpret typed words.

Last edited:

kochevnik

Doghead - thanks for the clarification.

I think being a mod is a tough job and like you said, mods are people too.

Thx for the work you do - helps the site a lot.

I'm not sure how you would do it, but it might be an idea to revisit the wording in that section of the rules - if for no other reason to make the mods lives easier, especially in view of how many times it appears you have to respond on this issue alone. Perhaps if the wording were a bit different, your work might get easier.

Thx again.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The REASON I posted #2 post was the title of the thread "NEED ect." in stead of "WHERE can I find" when we get that kind of post, we send the poster to White Owl, the classifieds, other vendor or a member, that somebody knows that might have the part.
there was nothing else but " need a motor" so it became a want add,

SYMANTICS is your friend, like spell ckeck is my friend most of the time.

I have not always like some of the rules, If it was MY sandbox, I would change a few, BUT, It is NOT my sandbox, so If I want to play in somebodys elses sandbox, I follow the rules of the owner of that sandbox 2cents

Last edited: