• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help after spin on filter install

v8jeeptj

I just installed a spin on filter and now my truck runs like crap. When it is at idel the rpms will go up and down. Then if I step on the gas the truck does not immediatley respond. I think there might be air in the system. How can I fix this?
Also I did use starting fluid to crank it and then I noticed the sticker on the air filter cover that says do not use starting fluid can damage the engine. Will this really hurt the motor?

Sounds like you didnt bleed the lines. Remove the pink wire from the injector solenoid and crank it over 3 or 4 times to move the air through (it won't start with the pink wire off), check for leaks, connect pink wire and start it up.

Yes excessive amounts of starting fluid will dry out the cylinder walls and cause pitting. Dont use it unless absolutely necessary. Try a little bit of WD-40 next time.

v8jeeptj

Another thing I just noticed is when i hit the throttle the engine revs as normal but if I try to hit the throttle again it will not rev. I have to wait for the truck to come back to idel before I can hit the throttle again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The real reason you NEVER use ether in the cucv is it is an indirect injection diesel with Glow Plugs. If you do not disable the GP system, and use ether, you can cause an uncontrolled explosion in the engine, it can blow the intake manifold off, or blow a head gasket, or crack a head, or whatever.

This can KILL you.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What filter and base did you use?

v8jeeptj

Just wanted to get something that is more common.

Can someone post a pic of the pink wire that I am supposed to remove.

How do I bleed the sytem. Do I crack all 8 of the lines then turn the motor over. Do I leave the pink wire connected or disoncected?

K9Vic

Bleed the lines / check for leaks. My question is - why change to a spin on filter, unless the current filter setup is busted?
:ditto:

Agreed, no need to change unless your original system is damaged and cannot be fixed with out replacement. I had a M1009 that I went to a spin on system, only because the base of the original system was leaking.

v8jeeptj

Found it, pulled the pink wire and turned the truck over a couple of times. Started the truck and all seems to be fine now.

Thank you for all the help

v8jeeptj

no it does not have an air blled screw. Drove it and it seems to run fine. The only problems i have are when I stopmp the gas. The truck does not respond.
Thought I had the problem fixed but seems to still be there. What are symtoms of air in the system and how do I remove it. Already pulled the pick wire but still seems to have problems

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds more like it's sucking air. I'd check all joints. FWIW the Stanadyne 80 filter base you removed is pretty darned common and a real easy filter swap on the trail.

v8jeeptj

Ok just reinstalled the original fuel filter housing. Pulled the pink wire primed the filter then opened the air bleed. Let fuel come out till I had a steady stream. Fired it up and the rpms shot up and the truck stayed reved at a super high rpm. I tried to cut it off but it would not turn off. I ran around and crimped one of the fuel lines till it cut off.

Is this an air problem, I am stumped? Need help

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you using ether again?

All your basic questions could have been answered if you looked at the tech manuals.

You changed your filter base for no reason(the original filter is very common and used on many other applications)

Maybe you should just take it to a shop.