• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help deciding on an M-? truck

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"M35tom", Welldigger posted his handle in an early post. He's in the classifieds.

twrecks

Ok after getting a chance to look over a few trucks today I have decided that it'll have to be an A2 or A3. The 9 series are just too big for what we need. So that being the case I would prefer the A3, again the automatic trans just seems to me to be a better trans for being in sand plus they have hydraulic capability but still concerned about reliability. What would be the advantage of an A2 or A3 one over the other?

Hoefler

Gentelman thanks for all the insights. The military wrecker is out of the question definately for a host of reasons. I really was looking at building this out of an A3 until I heard they were very slow and more exspensive so I thought about bobbing a 5 ton 925 for this project. I like that the A2,3's are physically smaller but like that the 925's are already power steering, air, brake and hydraulic capable as well as alot of them come already on super singles saving the money of having to swap out, rims, tires, and hub flip time. Thanks again I look forward to hearing more. Diesel Bob, do you have any links to the A2 power steering setups and that overdrive gear??
Its not a good idea to drive a one of these trucks "fast". An A2 has simple lap belts and stiff suspension. Going over a set of railroad tracks can be a real exciting deal if you hit them slightly off perpendicualr. The rear end will do things that are un expected. Couple that with a very large steering wheel and correcting a side skid can be an issue. 50 MPH is fast in one of these-they actually feel real good at 45 to 50. Its a nice ride at that speed. The A3 uses the same axels outside of different bearings. Its does so to allow compressed air to flow through to air up and down the tires through its CTIS system. This is tough on seals and and could lead to bearing failure if you spring a leak-simply shut the CTIS off and inflate the tires manually. A3 has O-ring wheels like most larger MV. Other tires will fit on these rims. A solution for speed is to swap out the tires for larger ones. The engine is modern and robust-it does not use sleeves like most diesels-its more like a small block chev in the way the cylinders are cast into the block. They can be sleeved in a rebuild which may never occur as these trucks even in civi hands dont do lots of miles.. Transmission is modern and used in lots of busses and city trucks. An A3 is very manuverable and actually capable in city driving and turning. An A2-not so much. One has to start out in granny gear on an A2 which makes leaving a stop light and turning onto a side road from a stop a slow deal. Having both the A2 and A3, I chose to sell my A2. The A3 for me is a better truck.
Pete

welldigger

I'll take an a2 over an a3 any day. That cat motor isn't a bad engine bit dang is it expensive. And I beg to differ on driving an a3 is much easier than an a2. Air assisted steering isn't a whole lot better than manual. Any issues caused by stiff suspension or dual rear axles applies to both trucks. The lap belts in the a2s can easily be replaced with a3 3 point seat belts. Power steering can be added to the a2 and that makes it hydro steering. Much better than air assist. Any tire and wheel that fits under a deuce fits both trucks. The a2 is perfectly safe to drive at highway speeds if brakes are properly maintained. That applies to both trucks. My a2 can lock up all 6 tires. These brakes are very effective. My truck is bone stock and I think nothing of driving in downtown Shreveport.

twrecks

Hoefler, how often do these air thru bearings/seals need to be replaced? Keep in mind my main mission is to bob this thing and put a wrecker bed on it to use on the beach and in the woods, not really as an everyday truck. But I would like to be able to do at least 60mph as some of our beach accesses are a ways apart and our hunting areas are a good ways from the beach, I'm thinking the 46" tires. I have run the cat engines in a lot of mid 90's GMC trucks without too many issues to well over 200k. Is this a different CAT in the A3? I dig the A2 but it seems as though after buying a decent truck, the add ons ie single wheels, tires, power steering I might just be better to buy an A3 have the auto tranny and be done. But you are the second person to mention those bearings?

welldigger

I don't think an a3 will do 60 even with 46" tires. But I could be wrong. The seals in the a3 spindles have 2 o rings and an outer grease seal. The a2 has no o rings and have an inner and outer grease seal. If your not driving through deep water or mud neither should really give you problems. If the a3 is what you want by all means get it. They are fine trucks. I like the auto tranny but for me there are too many drawbacks to the a3.

twrecks

Well digger what do you consider the drawbacks? Unfortunately we will be in mud and sand and probably water up to or over the wheels in the hunting areas so maybe the A3 isn't the better choice. Anybody done an auto tranny in an A2?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks