• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help identifying air line M35A2

tcruwithme

I'm a new M35 owner and could use some guidance. I spent a fair amount of time looking through the TMs and didn't find this part. I am guessing it is the Air Hydraulic Cylinder, but am not sure. Can anyone tell from the pictures what this is? I need to find a new air line ...

1985 M35A2C wo/w
Eagan, MN

Attachments

Dr.Jay

That air tube goes to the air pac brake booster assembly. I would just make a new one. It should be if I remember correctly 1/2" copper tube.

KsM715

That cylinder is your "air-pac" like Dr. Jay said.

Just curious, why did you cut off the flange on that leg behind the tool box?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That pipe is usually called the j-pipe for the air pack.

You should be able to make your own or contact some of the usual military supply houses for a replacement.

Memphis Equipment will have one.

Tlauden

Making your own shouldn't be hard, some copper tubing and two compression fittings and you should be in business, maybe $15 worth of supplies at the local hardware store.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all these options fail I may have one available. If I do, I'll pay it forward to you. I'll have to check when I get home this evening and could mail it tomorrow.

rlwm211

That is an old style air pack. The problem with making one with copper is the bending. It is extremely hard to bend tubing of that size so you will end up using 2 elbows and have to fit the lengths carefully. If it were me, I would get another J Tube. I had one from an airpack that could not be rebuilt but I used it on the next one that came onto my bench so I cannot help.

One of the reasons I can see for opting for an oem part is that it is very unusual for this tbe to break and it is likely due to damage from an external cause that will necessitate the replacement of the part. The military uses a rigid, thick walled tube as brakes are nothing to take a care free attitude about and since this is how your truck stops , I would not risk my life, or yours by cutting a corner. If this tube fails at road speed you have a 14000# steel projectile that is not going to stop any time soon.

This is just my opinion and you can do as you like. I would add that for the sake of the hobby and the potential negative fallout that could occur if a part you fabricate (instead of an oem part) fails you are simply helping the opponents of private ownership and operation of MVs in their quest to ban these trucks. Aside from that any part you make is your personal liability to deal with if anything bad happens even if it is not directly related to your part.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an old style air pack. The problem with making one with copper is the bending. It is extremely hard to bend tubing of that size so you will end up using 2 elbows and have to fit the lengths carefully. If it were me, I would get another J Tube. I had one from an airpack that could not be rebuilt but I used it on the next one that came onto my bench so I cannot help.

One of the reasons I can see for opting for an oem part is that it is very unusual for this tbe to break and it is likely due to damage from an external cause that will necessitate the replacement of the part. The military uses a rigid, thick walled tube as brakes are nothing to take a care free attitude about and since this is how your truck stops , I would not risk my life, or yours by cutting a corner. If this tube fails at road speed you have a 14000# steel projectile that is not going to stop any time soon.

This is just my opinion and you can do as you like. I would add that for the sake of the hobby and the potential negative fallout that could occur if a part you fabricate (instead of an oem part) fails you are simply helping the opponents of private ownership and operation of MVs in their quest to ban these trucks. Aside from that any part you make is your personal liability to deal with if anything bad happens even if it is not directly related to your part.
First thing to deal with is where to get the part. If you are a trained Hydraulics Technician with some type of certification; i.e. FAA Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) certification then there's no reason not to go the cheap route. If you can make one for an airplane, you should be able to make one for a truck. If you are new to the maintenenace of heavy machinery, I'd recommend in this case to buy a OEM one.

Side issue, not to steal this thread (which is why my opinion is stated first); what opponents to the hobby are your talking about? I live where they are not a common site and I always get very positive feedback from everyone I come in contact with. Case in point; I led the Cheyenne WY Christmas Parade with my M35A2 decked out with lights and collected toys through out the parade route for the Toys for Tots Foundation. I take it then that in the Great State of New York, you have MV haters?

rlwm211

Wisconsin is one place where the registration of these types of vehicles is pretty difficult.

There are others. NY is not all that bad but without getting political suffice it to say that there are those who do not like any vehicles that pollute and the older diesels are not smoke free.

There has been a tremendous increase in the number of MVs in private hands and especially the larger vehicles such as the deuce and 5 tons. In the old days it was mostly smaller vehicles in comparison to today.

It is vitally important we act in a manner that builds confidence in the civilian owner of a military vehicle. I emphasize caution and conscientious effort in fixing and maintianing an M35. As has been said in previous posts all it will take is a less than aderquate repair causing a severe accident to get the regulators to take an interest in how easy it is to own, register and insure a MV.

I also agree that anyone qualified to make a repair on an aircraft is very capable in doing same in terms of repairing a J tube for an airpack.

emr

I think u is spelled U with a capital, Thats what spell check says...:) I like usine the U for You.... :) And i am old, so its not just the young guys :shock:

Heavysteven

J pipe on the air pack. I would just call Memphis Equipment or another dealer and see how much they want for one. If its crazy make your on.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q74Hkk0m4g&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I rebuilt an airpack that had been together so long when the nut came off, it twisted the pipe inside.

Had a local shop bend me another one in the correct material, $20, voila.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks