• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help identifying this equipment shelter

CUCV_ut

I bought some stuff at an auction a couple weeks ago and ran across this unique looking shelter. I have never seen one like it before. It's about 5' tall inside, 64" wide and 81" long outside. It's totally rectangular, there are no wheel well cutouts like the S-250 has. It does have lifting eyes on each corner of the roof. The door seems to have a rubber gasket around it. The walls are interesting as they have aluminum struts visible with lots of anchor points along them. Between those there appears to be insulation and possibly chipboard or thin panneling covering it. It's an interesting yellowish orange color. Has anyone seen something like it before and hopefully know what it was used for? Thanks

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if you can find evidence of data plates being attached somewhere such as the door. There would be 4 holes for rivets or screws. I kinda think this shelter has something to do with a telephone switch, given the pads inside. If so it’s not military.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most military shelters I've seen always have some way to close off vents to prevent light getting out or dust getting in.

My initial impression is non-military, but I could be wrong.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guyfang

Staff member
This was my home, office, work shop, sleeping room and party place on a Hawk missile site from 1973 until 1977. Boy, that side escape hatch came in handy one night. We had a snow storm, blizzard, really, and the snow drifted against the door one night. I was working on a few things, and did not notice it. About 01:00 the diesel heater went out, no fuel. So I picked up a empty fuel can and tried to open the door. Would not budge. I thought one of the boys had played a joke on me and blocked the door. Went to the side hatch and almost could not open it! At last got it open and crawled out. Hip deep in snow. Stole a 5 gal can off a truck, and crawled back in. Too cold and too deep and could not see 30 feet. So went back and fired the stove up. Slept till 11:00. Snow plow had at last gotten there.

1686774704625.png
1686774873809.png

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was my home, office, work shop, sleeping room and party place on a Hawk missile site from 1973 until 1977. Boy, that side escape hatch came in handy one night. We had a snow storm, blizzard, really, and the snow drifted against the door one night. I was working on a few things, and did not notice it. About 01:00 the diesel heater went out, no fuel. So I picked up a empty fuel can and tried to open the door. Would not budge. I thought one of the boys had played a joke on me and blocked the door. Went to the side hatch and almost could not open it! At last got it open and crawled out. Hip deep in snow. Stole a 5 gal can off a truck, and crawled back in. Too cold and too deep and could not see 30 feet. So went back and fired the stove up. Slept till 11:00. Snow plow had at last gotten there.

View attachment 899713
View attachment 899714
This sounds just like your bad acid trip story where you spent the whole night in a port-a-let at a Rolling Stones concert last year ! Just sayn !

Guyfang

Staff member
I did trip a bunch in here. Painted the inside red. Its my color. Then one night trippin, we painted the inside Traffic Yellow, and the wall ribs black. When the LT asked, "What the hell is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I told him its what a tiger looks like that's been turned inside out.
0001.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks