• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help Identifying this frame CUCV m1008

Gorilla Transfers

need help and I’m sure that’s the best place to go. I’m in the process of restoring my 85K5 blazer. Looking for a set of 1 ton axles. I’m talking to a guy to buy this frame/axles and he says it’s from a 1985 CUCV m1008. He said it has 4.56 gearing, Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear, with locker. Is there anyway to identify what he saying is correct. Is this frame in fact a military frame and not a civilian frame. Posting on another form people are saying it looks like it has hydro steering which is a hint. Looking for any help before I pull the trigger.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeepadict

The CUCV is/was a Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) solution meant for logistical/background supporting roles, not intended for combat. They were derived directly from the civvy trucks with a few things adapted for military service such as bumpers, lighting, and 24v NATO starting systems. Shy of those things they're a standard diesel powered K30 in varying GVWR levels. Full in-depth descriptions are readily available with the help of some Googling the M- designation.

All CUCVs were based on the 84 MY K30 platform. All diesels in the Squarebody line had Hydroboost brakes. The frame is just a K30 frame, there were no manufacturing differences that I'm aware of, tho a bolt-on frame stiffner was added to some units to make them more robust for sling lifting by the bumpers.

If you're just looking for the axles, there's dozens of in-depth identification articles on the web for GM axles to confirm by diff cover bolts and casting characteristics. Gear ratios can be confirmed by opening the covers and counting the teeth.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
need help and I’m sure that’s the best place to go. I’m in the process of restoring my 85K5 blazer. Looking for a set of 1 ton axles. I’m talking to a guy to buy this frame/axles and he says it’s from a 1985 CUCV m1008. He said it has 4.59 gearing, Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear, with locker. Is there anyway to identify what he saying is correct. Is this frame in fact a military frame and not a civilian frame. Posting on another form people are saying it looks like it has hydro steering which is a hint. Looking for any help before I pull the trigger.
From the look of the frame, the reverse arch of the front springs, the giant drum brakes, the spring pack in the rear got to be a cucv. The Detroit lockers are 4.56 gears, I would tend to believe from the look of that one compared to my M-1008 it's a cucv.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
need help and I’m sure that’s the best place to go. I’m in the process of restoring my 85K5 blazer. Looking for a set of 1 ton axles. I’m talking to a guy to buy this frame/axles and he says it’s from a 1985 CUCV m1008. He said it has 4.56 gearing, Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear, with locker. Is there anyway to identify what he saying is correct. Is this frame in fact a military frame and not a civilian frame. Posting on another form people are saying it looks like it has hydro steering which is a hint. Looking for any help before I pull the trigger.
Check on the left frame rail by the steering box for a v.i.n. ( post #15 of this thread :https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/cucv-vin-number-plate.76754/ )

MarcusOReallyus

From the look of the frame, the reverse arch of the front springs, the giant drum brakes, the spring pack in the rear got to be a cucv. The Detroit lockers are 4.56 gears, I would tend to believe from the look of that one compared to my M-1008 it's a cucv.

The extra spring pack was an option on the civilian trucks. Every bit of that frame is civilian, or it's military, depending SOLELY on who bought it.

There is no "military frame". There are no "military" brakes, springs, shocks, or anything else. Other than the 24v/12v charging system, the GP resistor, the BO lights, the brush guard and bumpers, and a few other minor doodads, these are standard Chevy trucks, exactly as they came off the assembly line and went to your local Chevy dealer. They are NOT some uber-beefed-up-military-ruggedized super truck.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The extra spring pack was an option on the civilian trucks. Every bit of that frame is civilian, or it's military, depending SOLELY on who bought it.

There is no "military frame". There are no "military" brakes, springs, shocks, or anything else. Other than the 24v/12v charging system, the GP resistor, the BO lights, the brush guard and bumpers, and a few other minor doodads, these are standard Chevy trucks, exactly as they came off the assembly line and went to your local Chevy dealer. They are NOT some uber-beefed-up-military-ruggedized super truck.
Good to know, It is good to get schooled on things you aren't sure of.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Doesn’t the CUCV frame have more holes in the ends for the tie down extensions? I forgot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks