• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help... M1009 not starting

realm

Only gets driven about once a week, and went to start her up yesterday.
She cranked up for about 3 seconds and then died.
Now she won't turn over at all.

Starter is brand new.
Weather is about 70+ degrees
I crank it, the starter tries to turn it over but it never does.
Starving for fuel maybe?

Prior to this the only thing I've noticed is when cranking it it took a few bumps to turn it over, but after it had been driven it would crank right up first try. Others said it may have to do with fuel taking a while to get pulled up, so maybe it isn't getting to engine at all now?

Or you think glowplugs maybe? I wouldn't think that would have caused it to die and then never start again though.

What should I do? Thank you.

realm

Fixed it! Opened bleeder valve on top of fuel filter, some air spurted out and then fuel came out the hose. Then I gave her a few long 5 second cranks and she started right up.

Wile E. Coyote

I was wondering the same thing, anyone have any ideas? It doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Another known problem with the CUCVs. There's a round sensor in the filter base just behind the filter with a couple of wires coming off of it, and the stupid things start leaking. They're a press-fit critter and you can get replacements from - I think - Front Line Military Vehicles (FLMV), but I'd have to check that. The sensor does absolutely nothing unless you're using the STE-ICE diagnostic computer, from what I remember, but there's not really any easy way to eliminate it so replacing it is the best option. I think I have some spares here I can get a part number off of.

Another problem the filter bases had (84-85, I think) was that the drain plugs didn't seat properly. I can't remember the fix for that one, as the last time it came up I just changed out the filter base with that of a residue-truck.