• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help Making 4 flat cable from non-mil car to M101A2

yellowrubicon

I need to make up a new 4 flat cable from my Ford Explorer to my new (to me at least) M101A2 and M116A2 trailers that I just won. I have a bag of packard connectors but I don't know what "sex" the trailer is. Does anyone know what sex I need on the 4-flat cable to mate up to the trailer. I will be removing the existing CUCV cable from the junction box. Thanks!

Is the trailer connector male or female? (the answer to that will determine the sex of the 4-flat cable I need to fabricate).

blybrook

Since you are re-wiring the trailer to a 4 plug, just use the one that is opposite the tow vehicle & wire it up. Otherwise you need a female 12 pin nato plug for the converter. There's several threads about this, none of which I can link you directly to without searching myself.

HTH

yellowrubicon

No, no, no, I am NOT rewiring the trailer. I am just removing the 12 pinned nato connector cable from the junction box forward. I will replace that cable with a 4 flat cable but I need to know what sex packard connector to use on this new cable.

blybrook

No, no, no, I am NOT rewiring the trailer. I am just removing the 12 pinned nato connector cable from the junction box forward. I will replace that cable with a 4 flat cable but I need to know what sex packard connector to use on this new cable.
That is the same as rewiring the trailer to a 4 plug. And you want to ensure you have the correct 4 plug for your vehicle. I know some ford's have the female on the vehicle, and you need a male / male adapter for the trailer if it's also female. My ranger was this way.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take your 4 flat with stripped ends, your connectors and crimpers and do it on site. Only 5 extra minutes and you can make it the exact length you need. Don't forget 12V bulbs. IIRC I use 97s for running lights and 1156s for brake/turn.

yellowrubicon

Yes, I could/should do it on site, but I wanted to be somewhat prepared before I get there. Here is what I came up with. The Explorer actually has a 7 conductor round connector (for electric brake pop-up camper that I have) and I have a "7 round to a 4 flat adapter". I purchased a trailer rewire kit at Wal-Mart and cut the wires to around 6 foot length (hope that is long enough). I then crimped my Packard connectors (female) onto the end of the cables. Its easier to show you....

Here is the rewiring kit and the "7 round to 4 flat" adapter:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x140/davijonzlocker/Military%20Trailer%20M101A2/DSC_4584.jpg

And here is the completed cable, 6 feet long, with a "4 flat" connector on one end and female Packard connectors on the other.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x140/davijonzlocker/Military Trailer M101A2/DSC_4588.jpg

Here are the two trailers that I won:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x140/davijonzlocker/Military Trailer M101A2/21584822.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x140/davijonzlocker/Military Trailer M101A2/21551860.jpg

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! What is the 5th connector for? FWIW, bullet connectors also interface with packards but lack the water tight seal. Should be plug and play once you get there. Bring something to clean off the metal tags with the wire numbers, they can get pretty funky.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to do the same thing for an M101 as soon as my EUC comes back. Just so I'm straight, the "packard connectors" will go into the NATO plug? Or they'll go into the wiring junction box?

I've looked through all the threads on this subject, and if recall correctly, this is the first that mentions this particular method.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They go into the junction area on the frame rail of the tongue. Bullet connectors work too!

blybrook

Even though you'll have a partial ground through the hitch, complete the circuit correctly by connecting that ground wire.

Personally, I just took off the nato plug (unsoldered it on pin at a time) and put on a 7 pin RV plug. It isn't going to get towed by anything that can't control it in the first place.

mistaken1

Yes, I could/should do it on site, but I wanted to be somewhat prepared before I get there. Here is what I came up with. The Explorer actually has a 7 conductor round connector (for electric brake pop-up camper that I have) and I have a "7 round to a 4 flat adapter". I purchased a trailer rewire kit at Wal-Mart and cut the wires to around 6 foot length (hope that is long enough). I then crimped my Packard connectors (female) onto the end of the cables. Its easier to show you....

Here is the rewiring kit and the "7 round to 4 flat" adapter:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x140/davijonzlocker/Military Trailer M101A2/DSC_4584.jpg

And here is the completed cable, 6 feet long, with a "4 flat" connector on one end and female Packard connectors on the other.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x140/davijonzlocker/Military Trailer M101A2/DSC_4588.jpg

Here are the two trailers that I won:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x140/davijonzlocker/Military Trailer M101A2/21584822.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x140/davijonzlocker/Military Trailer M101A2/21551860.jpg
Where did you get the adapter?

By seven conductor you do you mean one center conductor and six blades in a hexagonal pattern around it?

yellowrubicon

Yes, exactly. Same connector that you would use if your trailer has electric brakes. I got the adapter at a towing specialty store that specializes in custom trailer hitches. Should be able to find them just about anywhere.

blybrook

Adapter

That RV 7 plug to flat 4 adapter can also be picked up at Wally, Napa or any of the parts stores that sell towing gear. Run about $8 at the local wally-world.

thekauz

I have a M116A2 and I'm trying to figure out how to wire it to a 4 flat as well.
I took a vehicle side connector off of a junked CUCV and planned on wiring a 4 flat to that connector. that would be my adapter from the trailer to my vehicle.

Could you send me a wiring diagram? My truck takes a 4 flat or a 7 round. I'd appreciate the help.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M116A2 and I'm trying to figure out how to wire it to a 4 flat as well.
I took a vehicle side connector off of a junked CUCV and planned on wiring a 4 flat to that connector. that would be my adapter from the trailer to my vehicle.

Could you send me a wiring diagram? My truck takes a 4 flat or a 7 round. I'd appreciate the help.
If you have the connector off of a CUCV, the wires are already color coded. Green=right turn/brake, yellow= left turn/brake and brown is the running lights. White would obviously be a ground.

Brown=21 on the trailer side
Green=22-460
Yellow= 22-461
White= 90 (trailer recep to ground)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks