• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help on i.d. on m274 a4

msellers452

trying to find out where my m274 was assigned. I have found bumper numbers that are
82 AB then possible HCS or HQ5 cant make out any more. The data plate shows a vin of 13771 that was scratched in. Any help would be appreciated.

txdodge43man

HQ5 would be more correct than HCS. there are a few numbers missing to tell you a unit but I would expect that there would not be enough room on the mule to put complete unit markings.

AIE1

I was with the 82nd Airborne Div in the early 70's. Almost every unit in the 82nd had the M274 series mule. There should be either painted over on the back or the front under the 82nd another set of letters, example's 2/504 or 2-504, 1-325, 2-508, something like that. HQ-5 the low HQ number sounds a bit strange, but more so than HCS. In the Headquarters & Headquarters Company during my time the 4.2 mortar platoon had most of the Mules. I just spoke with a fellow paratrooper a few days ago and he was with HQ's Heavy Weapons plt and they had 106RR mules before converting to TOW missile system in late 71. Hope that helps!

lilreddodge

82 AB markings on a Mule

Little hard to read but here are a few pictures of the numbers on a original painted M274A1 that I have since restored.
DSC00062.jpgDSC00064.jpg

AIE1

Looks to me like 82nd Airborne, 3 Battalion I = Infantry 325 back in the day glider Infantry, later Airborne Infantry. The 325 all battalions were with the 2nd Brigade of the 82nd Airborne C-5 being Charlie Company vehicle number 5

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks