• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help, SBC, 700R4, Divorced 205 Conversion

troop2865

Hey guys, I could use some help from those who have done engine conversions before. When I purchased my truck it had a SBC 350 with stock running gear. The firewall had been hammered in for clearance. I cut the motor mounts off the frame and moved them forward as far as practical. I used the motor mounts that were on the engine when I bought it. I have the engine and transmission in now. The frame sits at 0 degrees and I have the engine/trans at 3 degrees to the rear.

For some reason, the transmission looks higher than I thought it would set. If I weld a mount to the top of the old transmission cross member, it looks like it would be close. I have enclosed some pictures. I would simply set the cab back on and check clearance but it is at a shop being painted over a haff hour away. Can anyone tell me the transmission tunnel clearance to the top of the frame, or give me any advice. I would like to make the transmission and T/C mount, remove the drive train and sandblast and paint the frame before the body is ready. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bcowanwheels

The t-caase needs to be perfectly linned up with the crankshaft centerline."no exceptions" if not it will kill u-joints and the trans and end up hurting the crankshaft. Done alot of them....

troop2865

Does the transmission on my truck look higher than those you have done? If I had the cab here I would test fit it, but it is a half hour away at the body shop.

Thanks for helping out.

troop2865

I used the motor mounts that were in the truck from the SBC conversion that was mated to the stock transmission. I guess that means I need to lower the motor mounts, or make some new ones.