• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with 09 window crank install

I have the whole window crank assembly fresh from lmc.
Ready to go in the gate.
But how do I get to the nuts on the back side of the assembly (inside the gate)? Do I pull the regulator out through the access pannel or is there another way.

My window slipped and is currently on the bench in the garage. I can get to alot of stuff with the window out, but cant seem to get to the nuts on the crank assembly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

(I have searched but no one seems to talk about getting to this part. Mostly just how the assembly fits together.)

Thanks

BVDL

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the nuts from the regulator and move it side to side to access the crank nuts. Don't have to take the regulator out.

SGT LongT

I hope the LMC works for because I have read that they break quickly. I don't want to :deadhorse: but since you already have it apart you might want to put quality parts in so you don't end up aua having to do it a second time. 2cents Just so you know rear window is also on my "to do list".

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope the LMC works for because I have read that they break quickly. I don't want to :deadhorse: but since you already have it apart you might want to put quality parts in so you don't end up aua having to do it a second time. 2cents Just so you know rear window is also on my "to do list".
I had good luck with the replacement crank parts I bought from LMC. Unless the quality has gone downhill (which is possible) in the last two years, I'd still use them. All the aftermarket parts are probably from the same manufacturer.

I have also heard the stories of shoddy parts, but as long as I have all the pieces, I can modify them to work. If the handle pulls off in a week I can fab up some better ears to hold the tabs.

I plan to lube the crap out of the internals, and re do the felt in the channels.
Hopefully that will reduce the stress on the crank assembly.

Thanks for the heads up though.

I had good luck with the replacement crank parts I bought from LMC. Unless the quality has gone downhill (which is possible) in the last two years, I'd still use them. All the aftermarket parts are probably from the same manufacturer.
Sliding the regulator over was easier than it looked.
There is so much going on in there that its intimidating.
But 4 bolts out and it moves right over.

The handle is drying from the 2 coats of hammered black krylon, and once dry will head back into the gate.

Thanks for the help.

BVDL

(Pics when done)

mistaken1

Where does one buy these quality parts your are referring to?

Whitey

I just finished this job myself last month. The TM, I believe, says to only lube the rollers and not the channel itself. When I disassembled it originally, the channel on the bottom of the glass and the short one on the door were gummed up with a heavy grease and lots of grit. In the end I had to put the whole deal in the parts washer and the regulator had to be disassembled and cleaned. It was my first time fiddling with door internals and I spent my fare share cussing.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does one buy these quality parts your are referring to?

If GM still offers these they're probably not much better. These aftermarket parts should perform well if everything else in the tailgate works as designed.
So lubricating the regulator, replacing the felts and weatherstripping is a good idea.

SGT LongT

Well I jinxed myself aua I opened up the tailgate because the regulator would jump while cranking and figured things inside just needed a little cleaning and lubing. Well my first indication that something was wrong was when I took the crank out and found little pieces of"something" :sad: Then when taking the regulator out the spring loaded side decided it was going to try a guillotine my fingers :sad: The gear inside the regulator is missing one tooth(maybe two). I think that explains the jumping while cranking and all that force from the spring loaded side went straight to the crank. On the plus side the parts I can salvage I have cleaned and sprayed a coat of rustoleum to hopefully keep the corrosion at bay, and re-felted the channels so when I get the parts things should be nice and smooth.

Attachments

Well I jinxed myself aua I opened up the tailgate because the regulator would jump while cranking and figured things inside just needed a little cleaning and lubing. Well my first indication that something was wrong was when I took the crank out and found little pieces of"something" :sad: Then when taking the regulator out the spring loaded side decided it was going to try a guillotine my fingers :sad: The gear inside the regulator is missing one tooth(maybe two). I think that explains the jumping while cranking and all that force from the spring loaded side went straight to the crank. On the plus side the parts I can salvage I have cleaned and sprayed a coat of rustoleum to hopefully keep the corrosion at bay, and re-felted the channels so when I get the parts things should be nice and smooth.
Hey Srage Long,

What did you use for felt in the channels? I have read alot of options, from cutting floor mats that autozone sells to joann's fabrics felt.
What did you use?

SGT LongT

Basically the same stuff as joann's that I found at ace hardware and some really noxious glue/contact cement that I found at the same place that is supposed to be good up to 200f. I can grab some pics later but it looks like pool table green felt, but I can't attest to the durability yet.

SGT LongT

I don't know if you got your window and tailgate back together, I just finished, but I wanted to point out something I noticed. When the window is down the glass likes to bump against the window regulator so I added some felt to that area. I outlined it in red on the picture below.

Attachments

Cheers on the pics.
I havent noticed my glass touching yet but good heads up.
Im waiting for the rear window glass filler from LMC before I put the rear glass in.
And I was gonna throw some felt in the chanels to make things work smoother.

Thanks for the tip.

BVDL

Woodsman

I don't know if you got your window and tailgate back together, I just finished, but I wanted to point out something I noticed. When the window is down the glass likes to bump against the window regulator so I added some felt to that area. I outlined it in red on the picture below.
That explains where those scratch marks came from on the glass of the '85 K-5 civilian model I had way back when. Good catch!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks