• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEED HELP with LMTV M1078, Right Rear wheel stuck after parking brake applied

EdMontana

Hey guys,

I searched the subject and come up with nothing, truck was seating for couple months, usually when rear brakes stuck I rock truck back and forward and they will disengage, with a bang...this time, the right rear wheel is locked solid and worst...truck is seating on top of soft dirty.

Is there anyway that I can unstuck the brake at this wheel manually? I can't use the traction because of the soft terrain, the left wheel start spinning and caving in the dirty.

thanks in advance for any help on this!

Ed

NV555

I had the same problem on the left rear on my 1083. I was in sand and was able to drag it about 100 yards and it broke loose.

Someone was telling me rust can cause it?

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the rear drums on my m1078 stick a few weeks ago due to rust. I was unable to break them both free by trying to pull forward. I caged the brakes and was able to use a hammer and piece of wood to hit the exposed edge of the shoe and they easily broke free.

EdMontana

I was able to drag it about 100'., but again , soft terrain...I just made a big and long trail. I also did hammered the outer ring from the inside of the wheel...nothing!

What is next? spray some rust solvent agent? apply heat? aua

That's not good, I park on a pretty level place, will not apply the parking brake and block the tires instead for now on.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parking brake will self apply when the air leaks out of the tanks over time. Suggest caging the cans on that wheel to assist with diagnosis.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Chock the truck well both ends. I mean well. Not near anything else. Air up release the brakes. You can peek in and see which pad or pads are sticking. Each pad has a small notch at the ends. Use long screwdriver and mallet tap on the notch the pad will pop free the truck may jump a bit so be careful.

EdMontana

Thanks for the tip Suprman -

I had a little time to mess with it today, both pads are stuck. There is a notch in the middle of the pad that shows just a small portion of metal in a recession of the liner, and two small notches at end but in the liner itself. Tapping at ends would be the ideal but the liner will flake out as no metal is showing there. It still stuck at moment :neutral:
Also, in order to cage the front can I will need to remove the hoses from the top in order to get access to de cage toll bolt...poor design there.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They all have notches at the end. Dosnt take much to pop them free with a big screwdriver. You can take off the shock absorber to get to the front cans. I don’t think you need to though. I have freed up many stuck pads with my method.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a cure or fix to prevent this from happing?
Exercise the truck more often and if its in a more damp area its just the shoes rusting to the drum ! Just dont let them sit so long its just like running in winter conditions when you park the truck without setting the brakes till the drums have cooled compleatly off then set your brakes so they dont freeze to the drums

Ned81

Someone posted military video links to these trucks a couple weeks ago. One of the videos goes over this very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spankybear

Exercise the truck more often and if its in a more damp area its just the shoes rusting to the drum ! Just dont let them sit so long its just like running in winter conditions when you park the truck without setting the brakes till the drums have cooled compleatly off then set your brakes so they dont freeze to the drums
Damp area... Talking about the Pacific North West... Wet side of the cascades...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But if i lived there i would have a store with only wiper blades /umbrellas/ mops /rubber boots/ ponchos/ waterproof hats /squegges/ and rust remover and i would be rich !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks