• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEED HELP with M35 soft top... PLEASE?

Scooter_Mann

I have a fairly new soft top on my deuce. I took it off for two weeks because I was in two different parades... and wanted it off. I had it in the back for a couple of days and it got wet when it rained. I sat it in the garage for about 12 days (if was still a little wet), then put it back on the truck. It went back on just fine. Two days later I drove it on the highway to work (about 8 miles). The black plastic/rubber welting that slides in the track at the top of the windshield started coming loose from the top. A couple of miles later it was totally loose from the top with the exception of the snaps at the corners. The center of the top was blown up about 6 inches as I rolled down the road.

It appears that the top was glued to the welting. What do I need to use to glue it back together? I really need some help with his matter! Thanks. :?:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would take it to a boot(foot wear) shop and ask them to stitch it. I have an industrial sewing machine a used it to fix mine. I also have had good experiance with Pliobond. Many here have used it too. If you are going to glue it only, use the Pliobond. For a temp fix, I have seen a ratchet strap across the top of the plastic channel. Hope this helps.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had that happen to me on a return trip from Aberdeen in a rain storm, after dark with my 3 yr old sleeping in his carseat. I had to hold that damn top down with my hand until we stopped. My quick fox was a bunch of small sheet metal screws and washers and literally screwed the top to the plastic strip.

rockman

You can check with a shop that does awning, boat covers, tents as they have the facilities to lay it out flat and sew it best. If it is in good shape otherwise...

Last edited:

Scooter_Mann

Tnx

Wow... I now have a few different choices. It is a vinyl top... and it is in great shape. I have no idea why it came apart... other than I got it wet and let it set that way for a couple of weeks. It appears that it was never stitched... just glued. I like the idea of having it sewn back together. (AND GLUED) Is that over-kill? Would it be like wearing a belt and suspenders? :-D

I appreciate the help! If one fix doesn't work... the other should!

Blood_of_Tyrants

The stitching seems to be susceptible to ultraviolet rays and breaks down after a few years. One other solution, go to Fastenal and get some 1/8" blind rivets (also called pop rivets) for attaching about 1/8" thick and get some washers there too. Drill a 1/8" hole in the plastic and use a leather punch to make a hole in the vinyl and rivet them together. But I am going to try the Seal-all, myself.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a sewing awl and thread and stitch it yourself.
I have found that "Goop" works great, used it for two bikini tops (canvas) and one vinyl cover so far....

Scooter_Mann

And here I was thinking it was a problem only I was having.... geez.

Bikini Top? I would like to see a pic of that! (maybe that was why the screwing took place to begin with???) I hate a full top... Just how small of a bikini are we talking about here? :razz:

TedG

Boy did this post take a turn!

Question, can one buy a new plastic piece? Mine was destroyed when it came apart!

Green_gator

I had the same thing happen to me during a thunderstorm in South Florida a couple of weeks back. I brought it to a luggage repair shop and they stitched it back together for me along with restitching the zipper on the rear window for $40 if I remember correctly. They used an adhesive tape along with some fairly heavy duty thread. If you are near a shop that does the canvas boat covers and shades they should also be able to handle the job.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here I was thinking it was a problem only I was having.... geez.

Bikini Top? I would like to see a pic of that! (maybe that was why the screwing took place to begin with???) I hate a full top... Just how small of a bikini are we talking about here? :razz:
Here is the 757 bikini top. Both the deuce and the 8x8 tops are painted white on top for a cooler inside....

Attachments

Last edited: