• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help with M747 trailer ANYONE Close?

RNV

I have an M747 sitting in a shipyard in Virginia that was supposed to be loaded for export. These guys in the yard are telling me they can move it because of the BIG fith wheel pin these use.. AND also no gladhands to hook up brakes.
The trailer goes to a collection in Europe that I have found a bunch of stuff for. They NEED the trailer to haul big-heavy Iron around Europe.. Some nice stuff! I am in California and load and ship from here.. I found the trailer back on the outer banks near Newport Shipyards. Figured it was cheaper to send it from there and had an OK from the shipers.. But after the forklift guys unloaded it, then they started to choke on it and tell me no way to roll it up on the ship. I need a local guy that MAY have a truck with the correct size fifth wheel that can hook up and drive it up into the Roll-On-Roll-Off ship or help give someone out there a good atta-boy-you-can-do-it talk ----- I have moved this stuff with forklifts and tracotr loaders.. But I am not there or even CLOSE to get this one done. email me at funcars4us@hotmail.com

R Racing

Boy I sure wish I was closer . The ship yard is about 4 to 5 hrs south of me . But I have a m920 with a 3.5 pin. Perhaps there is someone closer to help.

RNV

yah, what really gets me is I told them what the trailer is.. BIG pin, rolls fine but no brake connections. they all said no--problem-o.
they want me to send it out to have it converted to a standard pin.. geez, then they cant use it on the other side.

RNV

Keep in mind the pin size is 90mm. The truck over on the other side is a M911 all set to move it off ship. I had it transported on this side by a low-boy
If I had some kind of contact with the Stevedores at the shipyard, maybe a case of brew or somthing might motivate them.
Heck, I may have an M747 for sale in Virginia this week if I can get this loaded. DANG!

Do you mean Newport NEWS Shipyard? The Newport Shipyard is in Rhode Island, not Virginia, but Newport News isn't in the Outer Banks of North Carolina either. Which ship are you trying to get it loaded on, and when is it supposed to leave?

SPCWarning

Suggestion:

I've seen adapters used on American kingpins to adapt to European 5th wheels. They are attached with countersunk allen head bolts, it goes on in two pieces on the trailer kinpin or even welded on permanently, making it the right size for the Euro truck 5th wheels. If all these parts are obtainable it may be possible to have it converted to US where it is for loading and send the adapters along for use overseas. I'll try to get more info and post it if you're interested. We use the setup moving VERY heavy U.S. loads in the desert with Euro trucks without a problem.

RNV

Trailer is at Norfolk International Terminal 757 440 7048 David or John are the managers there. I do not kow if they will allow a private truck with 90mm pin to come in and move the trailer onboard. I am trying to get answers now. If no help, I need to have the trailer removed very soon. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Rod7072877506

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Trailer is at Norfolk International Terminal 757 440 7048 David or John are the managers there. I do not kow if they will allow a private truck with 90mm pin to come in and move the trailer onboard. I am trying to get answers now. If no help, I need to have the trailer removed very soon. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Rod7072877506
Bet the answer is NO unless the truck is owned by a union compeny with the driver union AND a stevedore, other wise you will be taking a job (which thay can't do, the reason of the off port truck) from a union hand. :cookoo:

Last edited:

RNV

Yes, I know-- Too bad these guys have no idea how to get things done. I spent a lot of time at the Oakland Army terminal during the Vietnam era watching forklift drivers load ships. No sitting around in those days, they made it happen.. Whatever had to get on board, they did it.. These guys out there are just not the same.

RNV

Well, a plea for some movment seems to have gotten the attention of the shipping company.. I THINK I have this resolved thanks to all that pitched in.
NOW All I need in ONE Decent used tire for the truck.. Anyone got a 1400X24 NDT tire? Want to match the other ties on the truck..
Next rigs to find are:
Pacific Tractor G-160 Mack G-535 or G-532 HumVee H1 slant back.

SPCWarning

This is what I was referring to above. Kind of a long shot, seeing you're all the way across the country but it could be arranged if there's no other choice. If you're pushed for time this may not be an option unless you have the right connections at the port to get 'er done!

EDIT: Your last post just showed up.........disregard. Best wishes on the shipment!
Jimmy

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This is what I was referring to above. Kind of a long shot, seeing you're all the way across the country but it could be arranged if there's no other choice. If you're pushed for time this may not be an option unless you have the right connections at the port to get 'er done!

EDIT: Your last post just showed up.........disregard. Best wishes on the shipment!
Jimmy
this would not work in this case as it is a trailer that needed to be moved, the adaptor is for a SMALL pin for a BIG jaw fifth wheel

glepaco

M747 for sale

Keep in mind the pin size is 90mm. The truck over on the other side is a M911 all set to move it off ship. I had it transported on this side by a low-boy
If I had some kind of contact with the Stevedores at the shipyard, maybe a case of brew or somthing might motivate them.
Heck, I may have an M747 for sale in Virginia this week if I can get this loaded. DANG!
Do you still have an M747 for sale?
Looking for one