• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with prep work for herculiner....

linx310

This coming weekend I plan to put down the 2 gallons of Herculiner I bought on the floor of M1009.

I finished cutting out the bad spots on my floor and welded new metal in. I then primed the metal with Rustoeleum Automotive primer.

Then I used seam sealer over the weld beads. Needless to say this stuff is messy.

What I am concerned about is the Herculiner instructions say to scuff up the paint and then use acetone to clean it by letting it dry.

Wont this remove the primer I put down?

What about the seam sealer?

Should I rough up the surface of the seam sealer before putting the herculiner down?

Attachments

FLINT

yes, the acetone will remove the primer.

I bet you can just put on the herculiner over the primer.

the purpose of the acetone is to remove any oil or wax or anything that might inhibit the herk. from sticking.

but if you have already primed, you should be good to go.

DokWatson

I've done a whole truck with herculiner. The only reason they say to scuff anything is to get any clear coat, wax, etc off the paint. You want bare paint for it to stick to. I scuffed a truck with brillo pads, primed it, and painted the herculiner on.

linx310

Well the inside of my M1009 I think is just old CARC and white rustoleum primer over POR-15...

I wonder if I need to even scuff it at all?

Maverick1701

I put herc down right over my primer

Also the 2 coats it says in the instructions isnt enough IMO
I put down 2 coats in my F350 cab and it couldnt hold up to the constant abuse (yes prep work was done correctly) I put 5 coats in the fords bed and it has held up GREAT!

krall

is that like a bed liner? and is that what some of these hi priced military truck resto guys put on the under side of a deuce?? I have seen a few with black undercoat and wondered?

linx310

I bought 2 gallons of Herculiner so I would have plenty.

How long did you guys wait before applying a 3rd or 4th coat?

zout

You should have seen the before pic - sanded it all down - rust inhibative solvent - expoxy primered - laid the Herculiner without doing any other prep work to the primer surface. I laid a gallon and 1/2 in this baby.

Attachments