• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with the three camo color shades on a 63 reo

Cintanal

My 1963 reo has a three color camo pattern but I don't know the names of the colors to match. There are two main colors with a small amount of black spray on lines. I plan to pick uf the paint at rapco. Anybody out there that might know the other two sades?

gunboy1656

Give us the pic you have cloudy. Most of us know the colors day, night, sunny, cloudy.

Forgot to mention unless you painting the whole truck your colors will be off slightly with the new colors. Or take the truck to a paint shop and have them match the colors on the truck now.

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

I find this stuff interesting, so bear with me, please. I agree you'll not match for touchup and you can't really tell colors unless it's in person. Your truck has the tinted-by-age-and-oxidation color scheme that takes an air brush master to blend in. That said, I think it would very cool to just get good close matches and refresh it. Thing is, how do you want it to turn out?

I think you have a one-of-a-kind interpretation of 4 color with a hint of MERDC. I see 2 distinct greens (the lighter one with that pink-ish patina as on the rear and top of the cab), some version of a brown or yellow, also weathered and faded (2nd panel on the side of the bed and perhaps a slightly different shade on the passenger side bumper/up over the hood), a distinct brown on the top boards of the troop seats in sections 2 & 4, and the couple black MERDC angular figures (door, 2nd bed side panel, as well as an outline of the darker green on the rear panel and the V on the door.)

If you're figuring on buying from RAPCO, the color page is here: http://rapcoparts.com/padenew.html The official 4 colors are at the top. I don't think you have one exactly except the 34079 Camouflage Forest Green is probably close. I like Gunboy's advice - get a local match.

You can sometimes get to the original colors by using acetone or citrus paint remover carefully in an inconspicuous place to get the patina off and see the orig color. My friend did that to his whole Air Force truck and it went from yellowish-pink to paint booth fresh 34094 CARC green.

If you'd like to see what I think your truck's painter was sorta imitating, this is a good website with some neat pictures: https://sites.google.com/site/merdccamo/ Take a look at the links on the top-left of the page for a bunch of photos of actual vehicles.

Hope that's useful.

Steve