• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with TOCNET intercom system

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started a thread about needing an intercom system for my 939. Now, I need to get someone's attention who knows something about the TOCNET system.

I jumped in and bought two RACAL Raptor headsets on the advice of someone here. (They do seem nice) I bought a TOCNET intercom system (or a part of it) with cable that goes from headset to TOCNET "box" but now, I can see I'm lost. (RACAL info said the Raptor works with TOCNET which is why I chose it, well, that and because it was the only system I could find that was available and affordable)

While i could guess, truth is I don't know what else I need.
I am guessing
a)Power cable of sorts
B) cables to attach to additional headsets

here is what I have. 2 headsets one cable that only plugs into the bottom of the TOCNET box and the TOCNET box itself. Can someone tell me what exactly I have? I get the feeling I just got a small part of a pretty expensive system. IMG_6520.jpgIMG_6521.jpgIMG_6522.jpgIMG_6525.jpgIMG_6526.jpgIMG_6527.jpgIMG_6528.jpgIMG_6529.jpgIMG_6530.jpg

Jericho

Look on the web site for Army Radios, its out of the UK, has the equipment you will need and a good customer service center to assist you, best part is the Pound is down against the dollar so you money buys MORE

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I didn't see any TOCNET stuff there, they had some VIC-1 stuff, but I have headed down a different trail now! This TOCNET system looks to be much more advanced than VIC1

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kurt, that looks like a manual for a VIC-3. They do seem to look almost identical, from the drawings, at least. I'm betting functionality would be similar too. Might be a good reference for someone.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I guess the best place to start is at the source. I emailed TOCNET with pics and a brief description and asked them for info on how to locate parts.

This looks like quite a system. I was not in the military, so I have no experience with VIC-1 or VIC-3 systems, but from the looks of this TOCNET intercom system, it's a pretty complex unit.

From their website:

Let's try that again

As a full digital system, TOCNET allows for bridging, crossbanding and conferencing of various disparate assets such as radios, phone lines, VoIP and network IP. TOCNET continues to evolve to meet the needs of the war-fighter of today and tomorrow.

Last edited:

jake-cutter

Looks exactly like a vic 3. You are missing the master control station. Just google VIC 3 master control station and you will see the part you are missing or look at the complete VIC 3 setup for sale on g503 for the parts needed.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm the one with the Vic3 F/S....its got different connections.
I saw the Tocnet on Flebay and did not bid due to no wiring available.
I have about 6 + of those tocnet boxes used...can't test them.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which of the TOCNET boxes do you have? The one like mine?

I got a reply from TOCNET explaining the system and what is needed to make it complete. They are going to send me pricing. This may get interesting.

I have a box, 2 headphones and one headphone cable.

i need 2 more boxes and another 3 cables. And a radio ... I think.

So, since I did find some parts in one day, they are "out there". It may take me a while to piece together a working system, but from what I have learned, it seems like a very powerful and capable system, linking handheald radios to the headsets. Could be a sweet setup on road trips to talk to friends in other trucks.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have boxes and cables.
Racal and Bose and other headsets with the same bailout plug will work.
Ill get pics tuesday.
DSC_000192.jpg
DSC_000193.jpg
DSC_000195.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They did email me a quote of around $10k for the parts needed.

I told them thanks but im not the Uncle Sam. And don't have his checkbook.

So I bought a VIC 3 that still sits in the box today, yet to be assembled and even tested.

IroncladGA

I was at a healthcare conference in Nashville at end of April, and I walked into the much more interesting Army Aviation conference that was at the same conference center. The 160th SOAR flew down a bunch of their really cool birds from Ft. Campbell and let us walk thru them. You couldn't throw a rock without hitting a general or colonel. Anyway, it relates to this post because I stopped by the SCI booth where they were demoing a TOCNET. I too thought it looked like a VIC3, which I had in my HMMWV before I sold it. I asked, and you would have thought I had insulted the gentleman's daughter, wife and mother in the most grotesque manner. I was quickly put on the straight and narrow about how TOCNET is far superior and can integrate Android devices like Samsung phones into the commo net. It was pretty cool stuff. Evidently Cobham who makes the VIC3 and SCI are mortal enemies. I Never figured there were so many different systems. I asked pricing for a 2-user system and was informed it was $15k. I asked about ITAR and EUCs and was informed they don't apply because the hardware as sold does not incorporate encryption. So if you want to pay $15k for an intercom, you can reach out to them in Huntsville,AL. As I perused other booths, I was shocked to see vendors pitching no fewer than 4 other intercom systems that all looked somewhat comparable. They all appeared as if they are in use somewhere by us or our allies, so i presume they are interoperable but not interchangeable. I was running out of time and didn't stop to talk about any of the other systems, but suffice it to say the TOCNET is not a VIC-3.

What did you end up paying for your VIC-3? I think i paid $900 a few years ago, and I still had to buy the cables separately, which were much more expensive back then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IroncladGA

To answer Juanprado's question, none of the parts other than the headsets are interchangeable between vic3 and TOCNET based on my conversation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. I had done some research and could not find a tm or much information out there on tocnet. Just some publicity info on the manufacture website. 86humv has some of the components but I did not feel comfortable finding cables inbetween crew boxes or a master station. Without part numbers or Tm , I felt totally in the dark.

With much patience I have put together a vic 3 but have not fully installed or tested yet. It is on the to do list.......

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a save on the search TOCNET and a full system came up one day. I didn't buy it and I am kicking myself. It went cheap. But, who knows. If I bid on it, maybe it would have not gone cheap.

I have a crew box and a cable to your headset if anyone is interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks