• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need hemtt Detroit Diesel 8v92ta mechanic near Sacramento

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update,
I put in a couple gallons of water in the radiator in preparation for the pressure test...well I didn’t need to add any pressure, it just started running out the bottom of the motor. Passenger side between the last two pistons. It just poured out the oil return port. That tells me Head gasket. I’m pretty stoked because that’s better than a piston liner etc. gonna tackle the head removal the next couple days.

Attachments

snowtrac nome

Update,
I put in a couple gallons of water in the radiator in preparation for the pressure test...well I didn’t need to add any pressure, it just started running out the bottom of the motor. Passenger side between the last two pistons. It just poured out the oil return port. That tells me Head gasket. I’m pretty stoked because that’s better than a piston liner etc. gonna tackle the head removal the next couple days.
Don't forget to magnaflux the heads the fire deck is real tin between the valves, if a Detroit is run with out water in the heads you will crack the fire deck.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I lived a little closer Mike I could give you a hand with all this. Personally I like the 2 stroke Detroit's better than the newer 4 strokes.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update,
Removed the exhaust manifold and the air box access covers. Water came out almost all the ports. Still leaning towards head gasket.

Major Asstyrd

Mike, if you need to take it to a shop, Johnny at North Valley Diesel in Yuba City has experience with old Detroits. Used to be an independent DD dealer. Last I talked to him he still had a warehouse full of old engines. Use my name and maybe he'll share knowledge. Or charge double!

If you need fuel injection parts, turbo, my company can probably help. We are also a dealer for engine kits although I don't know about engines that old. Our folks at or Wisconsin branch would know more. We might have a source for heads although Johnny might have take-offs. There is a shop in Bakersfield that might still have parts. Try to learn what OE part numbers you need.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shot some pics looking in each cylinder thru the air box access covers. radiator is drained. I’m going to pressurize the radiator thru the drain petcock just to get another perspective as I continue with head removal.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Major,
Called NVD
,Johnny was on vacation but I talked to Jeremy. Gave me some pointers and things to look at.

Update 12/30: tore into right and left bank seems to make more room this way. Poured water into radiator housing on right bank and had water coming out between liner and head. Fabricated a lifting rig for the heads. Yep, I suck at welding but it’ll work for what I need.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone here have the specialty tools for pulling liners, with the piston still in, the head alignment pins and the fuel line wrench? I am looking to borrow/rent since the cost adds up fast.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike on post #10 try diesel king truck repair 916-862-2924 they're in Sacramento, you may be able to rent tools from them.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracer,

I contacted diesel kings. They don't do engine work on Detriots. Thanks anyway for the lead.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It figures, semi's, large pleasure craft, and emergency vehicles haven't been able to use the 2 stroke Detroit's for over 20 years now due to emissions standards. Funny, EMD Locomotives still use large versions of Detroit 2 cycle diesels and meet Tier 4 emissions.....anyways.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boats etc are good to go since they aren’t on roads/ highways. Funny how they are still very popular to this day.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might have a liner puller, but it no workie with the pistons in the cylinder. Also, pic 2 in the post looking thru the air boxes, the piston looks scuffed. That is not a good thing.

davidb56

Anyone here have the specialty tools for pulling liners, with the piston still in, the head alignment pins and the fuel line wrench? I am looking to borrow/rent since the cost adds up fast.
Its been 40 years since Ive pulled liners, but I think that you can fab a puller with plate, all thread and pipe if you have access to a lathe.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I acquired the needed specialty tools. I’ll be pulling the head this weekend and possibly the liners as well...at least one bank.

davidb56

BT
Its been 40 years since Ive pulled liners, but I think that you can fab a puller with plate, all thread and pipe if you have access to a lathe.
you don't have to pull the pistons at the same time. You have to unbolt the rod caps, then shove the piston out the top. Ive had the liners come out with the pistons sometimes too. theres only a o ring holding it in place. A puller plate at a few thousands under the liner od at the bottom, and a top plate with sides welded on larger diameter than the top of the liner, then some all thread. Just like a large bearing puller. If you borrow the rubber expansion liner puller type, then you just unbolt the rod cap and pull the piston/rod at the same time. plenty of U tube videos showing both methods. its easy.

snowtrac nome

in the day we would drop the piston below the intake holes. there was a slog we would drop into the holes than with a baring tool spin the crank until the piston contacted the slug keep cranking and it will push the liner loose you un bolt the rod than slide every thing out as one unit.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in the day we would drop the piston below the intake holes. there was a slog we would drop into the holes than with a baring tool spin the crank until the piston contacted the slug keep cranking and it will push the liner loose you un bolt the rod than slide every thing out as one unit.
Interesting sounds easy enough. Mike this way you can get a look at your rod bearings, pistons and sleeves and while your at it you can drop a main cap and look at your main bearings. Mike you only want to do this once, so look at it all now. Hopefully your crank journals are A/OK.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks